Api Var Life/Bees outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolabelle1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We treated our standard National with Api Life Var on Friday. As instructed we broke the strip into four pieces and put on the frames away from the brood. The bees were very active and by Sunday we had a small "beard" of bees on the outside of the hive, although they went back in by late evening. The api life var has now all but disappeared from the hive, except in one corner but the amount of bees on the outside has increased. Instead of a small beard they reappear in the morning and by last night, at 10.30, they were covering the whole of the front of the hive and were down on to the landing board. We thought the effects would diminish as they removed the treatment but it seems to be increasing. Is this normal? many thanks for any advice

One of my hives are doing the same. You can smell the thymol from a foot or two away. I do feel sorry for them.

We treated our standard National with Api Life Var on Friday. As instructed we broke the strip into four pieces and put on the frames away from the brood. The bees were very active and by Sunday we had a small "beard" of bees on the outside of the hive, although they went back in by late evening. The api life var has now all but disappeared from the hive, except in one corner but the amount of bees on the outside has increased. Instead of a small beard they reappear in the morning and by last night, at 10.30, they were covering the whole of the front of the hive and were down on to the landing board. We thought the effects would diminish as they removed the treatment but it seems to be increasing. Is this normal? many thanks for any advice

yes normal, they dont like the smell of thymol, if you use too much pure thymol cystals then on a hot day they can abscond, but apiguard and apivar life have measure amounts of thymol in them, so dont worrye

Thank you for your responses. We expected them outside the hive but assumed that as the week went on, the reaction would die down rather than increase. They seem to have cleared the first week's treatment so will start the second tomorrow and will not worry so much when they start to "beard" again.

Mine did the same with the Apiguard. Didn't come out for a day and then when the sun came out and started the vapour off they all seem to be hanging about outside getting the fresh air. Bit like smokers all standing on the pavement outside the office!!! Bees are doing quite a good job of seeing off wasps while they are out there though.:smash:

I starated Apiguard three weeks ago. Bees outside on the landing board every day.. fanning like mad..

Back