Anything to worry aout?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today I found around 18 dead and dying bees along the flight path from my hives. All identical bees and not sure of they are from my colonies or from elsewhere. Did an inspection at the weekend and everything seemed OK with my "national" lot a pleasure to deal with as usual and the "langstroth" mob as grumpy as hell as is normal for them. I wondered if anyone has any ideas if there is anything to worry about re the bees in the pics. There are usually a few scattered dead workers after a days hard work foraging but these are different to the norm.
It's my first full season so all experiences are new to me.

Attachments

• 20210622_130252.jpg
    20210622_130252.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 20210622_165206.jpg
    20210622_165206.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
If you have two hives then hundreds of your bees will be dying every day currently. When they get old they try to walk away from the hive if they can.

Not done. Picked up the nucs May.

The counted on the board beneath the varroa mesh. 14 days after installing them.
That’s a very inaccurate method unless you count over a whole brood cycle. So that’s three weeks of daily counting. Quite why the NBU persists in its “natural drop” is beyond me 🥲

You said they were allegedly treated for varroa - do you know with what?
Do you have the wherewithal to perform a sugar roll or alcohol wash ? then you can establish the levels of varroa.

That’s a very inaccurate method unless you count over a whole brood cycle. So that’s three weeks of daily counting. Quite why the NBU persists in its “natural drop” is beyond me 🥲
Thanks. I'll have to rethink my varroa checking method. Meanwhile I'll have a go at a sugar roll.

Latest posts

Back