• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Anything Portsmouth/South Hants/West Sussex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmagee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Just starting up... trying to be as cheap as possible, but becoming a little difficult with the demand for Nuc's... does anyone have anything available.

thanks

John

is there are particular problem this year... there certainly doesn't seem to be as many swarms, nuc's or packages available as last year (that I wasn't ready for at that stage!)

still looking....

Hi John

Are you a member of Portsmouth or another local association.?

The only reason I ask is as Portsmouth is nearest to you and they had a queen rearing program set up last year, although the sad death of one of its members may of halted their program but it may be worth making some enquires to them.

I've had no luck with queens mating so far, each attempt has left me with drone layers despite the lovely weather we are having. It doesn't make sense why this is happening as I have more than my fair share of drones of all ages. As for swarms they are definitely up this year compared to last year in the Fareham & Gosport area according to a few members I've spoken to.

I am in west sussex and i have had two calls about swarms already. picked one up and the other had to be left because it was too far up a tree.

i cant fit a cherry picker in the boot of my car :(

the picture on my avatar is the one i collected.

Definately lots of swarms in the Waterlooville/Petersfield area.

The fastest way of hetting a swarm is to join the local association and register for their swarm collection list.

When a member of the public phones in having spotted a swarm, the next name on the list gets to go and collect it

is there are particular problem this year... there certainly doesn't seem to be as many swarms, nuc's or packages available as last year

I've lost a few, caught two of my own and lost a monster a few days back that waited 30ft up a neighbours tree for a day before disappearing over the horizon.

I've now more or less run out of equipment and will have to start banking queens in mininucs and combine artificial swarms back to the parent hive as soon as they are in lay.

At the last count I've got a couple of supers, one with frames one without, and a couple that are still in flatpacks, a flatpack floor and a flatpack roof. Extracting 50+lb of honey at the weekend that one hive stuffed in a brood box 'super' in under 2 weeks

Latest posts

Back