Anyone seen these?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think that the asian Hornet , pain in the butt that it is, won't do that well in the uk. If you look at the populations of common hornet their not huge and the nests are nothing like they are here. Theres just not the weather and the temperatures.

I agree! I firmly believe that unless global warming kicks up a few degrees (and going by this dreadful summer it hasn't happened yet) that the environment here won't suit them and they won't do well. A lot of the UK doesn't have the European hornet and there are none here in Ireland, if the climate suited hornets then the euro hornet would have fully colonized both islands thousands of years ago. Also with the non stop trade between mainland Europe and Ireland, hornets should have arrived decades ago, but they haven't. Why? it doesn't suit them.

No
You are giving the bees multiple entrances to guard.
Best is one entrance 3 or so bees wide.

It stops most of them getting into the hive which becomes increasing important as the season comes to a close. I have nucs with permanent mouse guard holes drilled in them and they defend by putting their butts in the holes. Of course if the colony is too weak to defend then nothing helps.

European hornets will not kill off an entire colony. The Asians will.
Reportedly there are some Asian hornets already with you in Portugal, but you'll certainly tell the difference when they get to your area ...

Enjoy the limited threat of the European hornet while it lasts.

In theory, yes. I'm finding the European hornet having a very good go this year. Yes Asian hornets here, went to two apiaries of around 35 hives each, around 3-5 hornets hovering on each hive, I saw at least 10 European hornets in and out of the hives too.

I live on a higher area just north of Dinan and i am surrounded by valley and we havent got an asian hornet issue at the moment and nor has 3 fellow beekeepers in the 10 kilometre radius around me!!

Keep them with you, tell them Normandy is cold and wet!

I had terrible problems with wasps around my hives (and all the hives have one bee space entrances but as soon as I approached the hives the wasps were ready to pounce)The wasps nest has been located and hopefully it has been destroyed but it's taken more than one dose of the stuff.

The wasps were even after me while I was strimming the nettles away from the hives.
Hello "Mrs WebMuppet" - good to find a friend on here! - WapBane really is a good tool but as Mrs Witchcraft says the wasps are very vermiscious this year (Good old Roald Dahl)

Mark

I have never used Waspbane. We use Coke and catch hundreds of Wasp and a few Hornets as well with it. How good is the Waspbane? We get attacked by hundreds and hundreds of Wasp, each year, but this year even worse. Does Waspbane not fill up quick and than you have to buy the expensive re-fill or how does it work?

Dusty's said it all
You have to put them out before the main trouble starts. I asked Karol how long they remain effective and he said that as long as they are catching insects of some kind they will work so you can put them out before wasps appear and if you get the timing wrong....ie. you are too early they will still be OK

The wasps nest has been located and hopefully it has been destroyed but it's taken more than one dose of the stuff.

As a matter of interest....having destroyed that nest. Has it made any difference?
I'm sure there are hundreds of nests where I live. I could never get them all.
The traps seem to be doing their job.

that's how I deal with them though half a pint and a match will suffice

Better to let the liquid and vapours permeate the fabric of the nest rather than hoping the combustion takes place down the hole.😀 Plus no risk of fire spreading out of control …

Better to let the liquid and vapours permeate the fabric of the nest rather than hoping the combustion takes place down the hole. Plus no risk of fire spreading out of control …
It burns for ages and I would presume removes all the oxygen. Never had it fail yet.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back