Anyone seen these before?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just done a crude copy of some 200 magic lantern slides from my late fathers bee stuff. Does anyone know how old these images are and whether there are many copies out there?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4624a.jpg
    IMG_4624a.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4647b.jpg
    IMG_4647b.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Thanks for that 'Par'.
BJB is right, its the date when the photo in the apiary was taken. I was hoping the clothing might give a clue, Edwardian perhaps?

By the style of dress I would guess early edwardian approx 1905

By the style of dress I would guess early edwardian approx 1905

Probably not far out. The chain link fence (1850's) and barbed wire (late 1870's) probably makes it no earlier than that. Fence is bit overgrown so had been in place for a few years.

Probably not far out. The chain link fence (1850's) and barbed wire (late 1870's) probably makes it no earlier than that. Fence is bit overgrown so had been in place for a few years.

Not sure it's chain link fencing. Bottom right hand corner of apiary photo shows twisted wire fence but I have not been able to find a date when that came into use. From style of clothing, I would say turn of the century.

CVB

Not sure it's chain link fencing. Bottom right hand corner of apiary photo shows twisted wire fence but I have not been able to find a date when that came into use. From style of clothing, I would say turn of the century.

CVB

From the clothes late Victorian, very early Edwardian ... somewhere between the turn of the century and 1905 .. probably no later than that.

Useful information

Because of the posting restrictions upon newbies on this forum I am unable to post links and photos. If you PM me I will be happy to give you my email address so I can send you the links.

"To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts"​

1. I have had look through the BBJ's from 1900 - 1920 and I think the man in the apiary photo is Herbert Patey who lived at Chillington in Devon. An article and photo appeared about him in the 1905 BBJ. Go to archive dot org and search british bee journal 1905 then go to page 195.

2. With regard to the other photo, Alfred Watkins and the bee-van, plus the Watkins photo archive can be found at herefordshirehistory dot org.

3. Watkins also put together a slide show (magic lantern) called 'Bees and Bee-Keeping' which you might have it in you father's collection. The slide show had accompanying text also found at hereforeshirehistory dot org.

4. I am doing historical research into a bee-farmer called William Woodley who was prominent in the late 19c to early 20c. Woodley wrote twice weekly in the British Bee Journal which has left us with a remarkable time-capsule of rural life. I would really like to see the other magic lantern slides in your collection - is this possible?

Latest posts

Back