Anyone overwintering on 2 or 3 frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Just curious if anyone is overwintering smaller Nucs? 2-3 frames.

Not asking about the rights and wrongs :)

JD

lol, I know it, just wondering if anyone is trying it

I have tried those with electric heating and it goes OK.

But another winter was so warm that I could not put on the heating, and nucs got sick seriously.

It is not wrong idea, it is just stupid. Makes only harm.

It is not wrong idea, it is just stupid.

Excellant Quote
6.gif

I have a small swarm from September that's only 2 or 3 frames. Apart from the small size it looks good, but I'm giving it a 50/50 chance. It's in a poly nuc to give it the best chance.
I always take 5 frame nucs through winter with the same survival rate as full colonies.

I have a wee nuc on three frames and they may or may not survive. Depends on the weather. Not the preferred way to go but these things happen.

PH

I have a small swarm from September that's only 2 or 3 frames. Apart from the small size it looks good, but I'm giving it a 50/50 chance. It's in a poly nuc to give it the best chance.
I always take 5 frame nucs through winter with the same survival rate as full colonies.

You have 200 hives.

You may take brood frames from another hives, and do to it waht ever.

50/50 change - heh heh.

Remember that guy who left 99 sheep in trouble and went to search that one lamb.

I have a small nuc that is covering 2 frames, it was hammered by wasps earlier in the season. I wanted to keep it becuase I only have 2 colonies and another queen in a nuc is a bit of an insurance policy IF they make it through winter.

I've got plans for where its going to spend winter time which I'm starting on this weekend, I need to move it about 15ft on into one of my sheds before it gets really cold. :)

Remember that guy who left 99 sheep in trouble and went to search that one lamb.

that reminds me, brb.....................FLUFFY? FLUFFY?

:)

Just a thought here to temper a suggestion earlier.

Giving a nuc a frame of brood is a good idea provided that there are enough bees to cover it and keep it warm.

Often a nuc is weak and in giving them but a brood frame there is more harm than good.

My preferred method is to cage the queen, spray the nuc with perfumed water and same to the brood and bees being given, then add. But I would also add another frame of bees, so one of brood and two of bees.

PH

I have a small nuc that is covering 2 frames, it was hammered by wasps earlier in the season.

How much bees you have in another hive? If there are brood frames, give 2 of them to the tiny one.

I have used electrict heating to 2-4 fames nucs. The heater must be in upper part of the hive, that it does not disturb the cluster formation. If bees are going to go out, they meet nornmal nature temperature. Aluminium sheet speads the heat to wider area and make lower the hotest spot.

The heat source to 2 frame nuc may be 1 W.

This 1 W nightlamp is enough to use. Price is 3 euros.

http://www.dmlights.be/nl/cat/4989/0/megaman/nightlight.html#

§

Last edited:
How much bees you have in another hive? If there are brood frames, give 2 of them to the tiny one.

I have used electrict heating to 2-4 fames nucs. The heater must be in upper part of the hive, that it does not disturb the cluster formation. Aluminium sheet speads the heat to wider area.

The heat source to 2 frame nuc may be 1 W.

This 1 W nightlamp is enough to use. Price is 3 euros.

http://www.dmlights.be/nl/cat/4989/0/megaman/nightlight.html#

thank you finman, that gives me something to think about :cheers2:

Taff, if some one sells to you two frame of bees, or more, it surely saves your small nuc.

Hivemaker lives in Somerset, is so and he is eager to make business.

Last edited:
You have 200 hives.

Quite right. But I'll give my time to the 99 first and when I'm happy I'll maybe spend time nursing strugglers. Time has been my biggest enemy this year.

Taff, if some one sells to you two frame of bees, or more, it surely saves your small nuc.

Hivemaker lives in Somerset, is so and he is eager to make business.

all I need to work out is how I'm going to get a frame or 2 from the colonies in the orchard to the nuc in my garden without losing all the flying bee's, they'll go back to the orchard as its less than a mile away.

all I need to work out is how I'm going to get a frame or 2 from the colonies in the orchard to the nuc in my garden without losing all the flying bee's, they'll go back to the orchard as its less than a mile away.

Shut them in and feed them for a couple of days. Give them something to stay for.

Steve J.

Or shake an extra frame of bee into the Nuc - the nurse bees will stay and only a few of the flying bees will return "home"
Mike

Latest posts

Back