Anyone know what this is?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Hi,
I put a nuc box and an empty hive in a location to capture returning bees when I moved my hives earlier this year. No bees returned, hooray. Well actually about 800 did and I moved these to the new location and they settled fine.

So I went to collect these hives at the weekend and found the stuff in the pictures. I have left the hives for the moment until I know what this is and whether it is a threat to my stores if I put these in with them.

Does anyone know what this stuff is? It wasn't moving around...I cannot tell if it is Mineral, Vegetable, or Animal.

All the best,
Sam.

Earwig pooh.

I stacked all of the spare supers and sprayed them with Certan - some of them were awash with earwigs, and those little black dots were in the same area. I think earwigs are harmless, but they didn't seem to like Certan.

Earwig pooh.

I stacked all of the spare supers and sprayed them with Certan - some of them were awash with earwigs, and those little black dots were in the same area. I think earwigs are harmless, but they didn't seem to like Certan.

I agree with Rae and think they are Earwig pooh. I have never had any problems with wax moth but always have lots of earwigs. Wherever they are I see these little black spots. I hate earwigs but they are harmless.

looks like earwig poo
not sure if they are a pest they look like one tho. i squash them when i find them. was told that they predate on smaller bugs tho so mabey they are even good to have.

Earwig poo. All over one empty nuc of mine...

Latest posts

Back