Anyone know their moths?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclewis

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Nearly stepped on this on the way home last night. Anyone know what type of moth it is? I estmate the wingspan at 12cm when compared to my size 81/2 shoe next to it.

you can always try uploading the picture to ispot.org website where an expert will verify or identify for you

This one was on the ground in my garden. On my hand it looks quite colourful but blends well when in the natural habitat

I know my butterflies and moths. Passion of mine since childhood. I used to work at The London Butterfly House Syon Park after leaving school. Sadly no longer there

I know my butterflies and moths. Passion of mine since childhood. I used to work at The London Butterfly House Syon Park after leaving school. Sadly no longer there

I used to take my daughter there regularly when she was little.
People used to smuggle terrapins into the ponds where they grew quite large if I remember correctly

I loved visiting the London Butterfly House steve and when ever my niece or nephews would visit I would drag them along but it was all for me although they enjoyed it. They did get their own back as I must have visited Madame Tussauds at least five times (god I hate that place) I understood the butterfly house was relocated but never found out where.

At my workshop once a huge butterfly must have been 3.5” across turned up and I photographed it went along to show them at the butterfly house and they confirmed it was an escapee.

I loved visiting the London Butterfly House steve and when ever my niece or nephews would visit I would drag them along but it was all for me although they enjoyed it. They did get their own back as I must have visited Madame Tussauds at least five times (god I hate that place) I understood the butterfly house was relocated but never found out where.

At my workshop once a huge butterfly must have been 3.5” across turned up and I photographed it went along to show them at the butterfly house and they confirmed it was an escapee.

The owner (my boss at the time Clive Farrell) Opened the Stratford upon Avon butterfly house and one in Scotland. The London one was sold after I left and then closed a few yrs ago. Such a shame.
Yes the terrapins where a pain but people liked them. Lots of good memories for me there.

Did the same with my kids as then had relatives by the Swan Pub in Swan Lane

I've been to the new St albans one that opened in March 2013..bit sparse so far but could be good later...motor your boat to Boxmoor bottom lock (??no65 my G, G GFather was lock keeper there) and catch a bus to St albans

Last edited:
Thanks all for the responses. Definately looks the same as the picy of the female Emperor Hawkmoth but that site states wingspan 40-60mm and the one I saw was closer to twice that. Wingspan is measured wingtip to wingtip isn't it, not wingtip to centre bodyline?

Saturnia pavonia is the English one
I have just seen your in France so its probably Saturnia pyri

I think it is sometimes called the Great Emperor moth

Fantastic moth :)

Latest posts

Back