Anyone know of a good asylum?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Forgive me for the flippancy - but

I kept bees as a boy ( somewhat on a budget) and have only 4 months ago gone back to keeping them.

I thought that my maturity now would mean that I could take the inevitable ups and downs of keeping bees in my stride.

But no fear of that - I seem to think bees and their behaviour most of the time accompanied by an obsession with "what's the weather going to be like today?"
When I have been watching the bees, even by closing my eyes I can still see the blighters going in and out!

I assume that this is probably the relative novelty of it all, but a) does any one else in my position feel the same and b) will it wear off?

:svengo:

Nope !

I know of no cure for beefever,it is permanent.

Don't worry about it now Plumberman, it can only get worse. :)

Anyway, if we didn't keep bees, we'd all probably be into something else and worry about that instead.

bee-smillie

I don't know of a good asylum but I have heard that there is a new beehive on the market that some regard as pretty mad, perhaps you could bring the asylum to you and get one of those? :)

I don't know of a good asylum but I have heard that there is a new beehive on the market that some regard as pretty mad, perhaps you could bring the asylum to you and get one of those? :)
Asylum not all its cracked up to be, I work there, well nearly.

I have wanted to keep bees since I was a small boy. Now I am an old rather large man I have the land and where with all to keep them, I also work in a very stressfull job and thought that keeping bees would be a brilliant method of relaxation and stress relieve.........how wrong can you be. The little bXXXXrs give me more sleepless nights than all the problems I have to deal with at work, bless em. On a positive note they give me enourmous pleasure and take my mind away from day to day rubbish, even when I am sitting in an important meeting with a swollen arm or lump on my neck from stings!!! Note to self, must try and get some sympathy from my female colleagues (I wish)
Cheers

COME INSIDE YOU SILLY BU**ER COME INSIDE.
YOU OUGHT TO HAVE A BIT MORE SENSE.
WORKING FOR A LIVING? TAKE MY TIP
ACT A LITTLE SILLY AND BECOME A LUNATIC.
YOU GET YOUR MEALS QUITE REGULAR,
THREE NEW SUITS BESIDES.
30 BOB A WEEK NO WIFE AND KIDS TO KEEP.
COME INSIDE YOU SILLY BU**ER COME INSIDE.
ANON!

John Wilkinson

It's not the asylum - it's the inmates!

We got our first nuc at the beginning of June (supplemented today by a swarm courtesy of a neighbouring beekeeper). And I think we have now managed to drive our mentor firmly round the bend.

We are only just fully beginning to realise the added scope that this pastime gives us for worrying. Having got through the initial fretting about whether we can settle them into their new home satisfactorily, do they need feeding and will they swarm on us, we can now turn our minds to the future - and begin worrying whether we can get them through the winter in reasonable shape: will they starve, will we be able to treat for varroa etc without killing them off, and whether they would prefer candy to syrup.

It really is a most rewarding hobby, isn't it??

Oh dear, prognosis not that great then :rolleyes:

I'm off on holiday for a 10 day break well away from them- but I'll still be thinking of how they are doing...............

With any luck they will be fine, and thus prove that I am not indispensable.

I knew of an asylum, it really went down hill after I was discharged, it has been pulled down now and houses built on the site, as for the bees, yes I worry about wintering and if I am feeding them correctly, but they know best and they have made my life so much more relaxed, I have far bigger things to worry about than bees who know best.

10 days plumberman? TEN DAYS! You can't, you musn't, they can't be left alone that long, they'll swarm and starve and sulk and get all sorts of diseases .... and do what they've done for thousands of years which is get on just fine - for the bees that is! Might not be quite what we keepers would have liked them to do. Enjoy the break - they will!

Latest posts

Back