Anyone know name of this shrub, great forage now.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
All

Whilst watching mylittle Ronaldo blitzing up and down the sidelines in his under 8 match my attention was drawn to this bush/tree covered in little white flowers, masses of. When I went to see if was being visited by Bees , saw plenty of honeybees foraging .

Anyone know the name as is an excellent late forage source ??

( Ooops cannot upload photos , will try later !! )

Last edited:
looks like Russian Vine to me...

but don't take a cutting for the garden, once it's established you can't stop it.

Thought it maybe Japanese knotweed initially, guess it maybe related.

Don't know what Russian is like but Japanese is an issue, very invasive and if you try and get a mortgage most lenders won't touch the property lending wise!

Was an ornamental plant that is now spreading in gardens.

Russian vine is easily killed....normal weedkiller or pull out the roots..

Been there.. (bad for bricks)

Russian Vine, Old Man's Beard, Mile a Minute ..are these not all names for the same thing? Anyway I like it, my other half hates it but it gives us something to 'discuss'.

I didn't know bees used this. There is an enormous one covering a house garage in the village. i might go get some cuttings and they can invade my field boundary all they like.

Russian Vine, Old Man's Beard, Mile a Minute ..are these not all names for the same thing?

Russian vine and mile a minute are the same thing, but old mans beard totally different. Old mans beard is wild clematis to me.

Well isn't this a coincidence !!!

As Boney M famously sang " Ohhh those Russians " ( Rasputin )

Came home today and did my usual recci in my back suburban garden for honeybees foraging ( would be mine as am only local Beek ) anyway none to be seen on my Dahlia ( we're previous.) , Sedum, Aster, Calandula, Oregano... but there they were loving my Russian Sage "Blue Spire"

Russian Vine.... Russian Sage .... Ohh those Russian's :)

Russian Vine also called Mile a Minute for good reason!

I had one of these. It took several years to kill it off by cutting off the growing shoots. It is incredibly fast growing and took over everything. It managed to get under tiles, behind guttering and generally everywhere. As someone likes big climbing plants and has a very voracious tangutica clematis I wouldn't recommend it!

I had one of these. It took several years to kill it off by cutting off the growing shoots. It is incredibly fast growing and took over everything. It managed to get under tiles, behind guttering and generally everywhere. As someone likes big climbing plants and has a very voracious tangutica clematis I wouldn't recommend it!

Sometimes although hopefully we all hate to do it, you just have to reach for the glyphosate and soapy gloves...

Sometimes although hopefully we all hate to do it, you just have to reach for the glyphosate and soapy gloves...

I must admit that I've been tempted to use that on next door's clematis montana. It's a thug of a plant that prefers to grow into our garden because it's planted to the north side of the hedge - our garden is to the south.

Back