Anyone got free artwork?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
I am trying to put together some templates for honey labels. These templates will be available free to download.

Although artwork is not essential it does add a bit of variety but I only have one suitable drawing at the moment - which I paid the artist 2 jars of honey for!

If anyone has any suitable artwork they would like to give away I would be most grateful to receive it. Send me a PM. An attribution of the artist will be given on the website if they wish. This could include a link to the artist's website.

Have you seen my beehive? its posted in the albums, you are welcome to use it but just accredit me with the painting if you wish. It might be too complicated for your use.

Lois, many thanks. I hadn't seen it but I am sure it could be used. At the moment I am only making black and white labels for my own use but some people might want to use colour. I'll also have a play with it, for example make it more like a water colour to go behind the writing on the label.

Have you a second name you want me to use? Send PM.

Any format preferences please RoofTops, in descending order. svg, png etc?

I like the idea and wish you lots of success.

FWIW.

I had a master class at Avimore trade show in labels followed up by another at a BFA conference from a packer.

Black on white can be very effective, IF, it is very clear.

The test oa any label is is it CLEAR. Look at it from four or five feet away, can you read it? Does it attract the customer?

Personally black on white is for me too plain, which is why my labels were:

Blossom: Silver foil text on royal blue back ground.

Heather: Gold foil on Black background.

Whisky Honey: Gold foil on a dark red.

Clarity is all as if your label don't read then it don't sell.

PH

Any format preferences please RoofTops, in descending order. svg, png etc?

If I can import them into Photoshop that will be fine but if not there is usually some freeware available to covert them, but to be honest a JPG is probably the easiest. It is only a label in the sense it is not something that is going to be blown up to ten foot high.

As to whether black and white works I agree with PH in the sense it has to be clear. But as I read here recently Clive de Brune said his honey which sold best at Farmers' Markets was the one with a hand written label.

See the labels this French company now use - very plain. Which is how my labels are going, the artwork is just an option.

http://www.lovebonnemaman.co.uk/products.html

The traditional honey label doesn't seem to have changed for years, which could mean it hasn't changed because it works or perhaps because everyone buys their lables from the same place. The truth is probably a bit of both.

About the only place I offer honey for sale is at a working weekend event for agricultural bygones. I use a label with a pic of one of my old tractors on it. Must have worked well last year as mine was about the best selling variety on the stall.

Regards, RAB

I popped to the site Rooftops to check the new prices and saw the label page - but my computer says it can't download them as their file origin is unknown? Not being a computer freak...how do I get them? Ta :)

Hello Queen59. It seems that the file extension .zdl identifies an Avery Label formatted document.

This link should give you more than a few good clues and a free Avery Label software download to allow you to print labels. The link is Linux, but the software pointed to in the first paragraph is all Windows based.

Meanwhile, Rooftops, are you able to recommend an Avery Label program to download (for free of course) to allow printing of the Avery Labels in Windows from your MBS website.

When I have the time I will work out what Linux software is good to go. None yet from Avery, but there are some very clever people out there printing Avery labels using Linux. I will be looking at LabelNation which is Python based.

It all adds value in the long run.

The link on our website is for the Windows version of the label printing software but here it is again: http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-Light-for-PC.htm

I didn't know there was a Linux version!

Queens59: There should be an option to overide your PC telling you it doesn't know the origin of the file. If there isn't I can only suggest looking at the security settings but where to look will depend on what operating system you have and what firewall and anti-virus software you have.

Last edited:
but to be honest a JPG is probably the easiest

Problem with JPG files is that if you keep altering and saving, the lines begin to get fuzzy with a grey haze. Save them as BMP and that doesnt happen..

Sorry RoofTops, I failed to read your site properly. Presumably having downloaded the program, the extension would be registered and Windows would recognise the extension without any difficulty.

So loading the program first is the secret.

There is no Linux version, but people have been printing Avery Labels under Linux for some time, so there is a good chance that there are programs out there that might have almost equivalent functionality. Just a matter of identifying one before the brain goes numb looking.

Latest posts

Back