Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
If you are a UK beekeeper and member of the BBKA, you may be interested to know that another motion calling for a severance of their current relationship with
pesticide manufacturers will be tabled at the next ADM in January 2010.

You may recall that a similar motion was rejected at the last ADM, but with only a 2/3 majority, showing that a large percentage of the membership does not
support the policy of accepting money from the manufacturers of chemicals that kill bees.

David Ramsden of Twickenham BKA has asked me to circulate the following message:

The BBKA and Pesticide Endorsement

As you may know, the British Beekeepers Association endorses some pesticides,
and in return receives income from the manufacturers

I hear that this topic will be on the agenda for discussion at the ADM in January 2010. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

For me, it is a simple question of ethics. Not a scientific or technical one, as there is insufficient evidence to come to any absolute conclusion regarding the danger of the various products to bees. The question I beg is the ethical proposition "should the BBKA endorse these products for money?" My answer is
no.

Of course the BBKA should continue to be in dialogue with manufacturers of
products that impact the welfare of bees. That does not mean that the BBKA needs to endorse the products, or be paid money to endorse them.

The acceptance of such payment obscures the motives of the BBKA, and the BBKA should be, and should be seen to be, absolutely transparent in its actions.

If we want the BBKA to protect bees, unite beekeepers, and continue to grow, then this divisive policy must cease. If you are a member, make sure your
association delegate knows what you think, before it is bought up for discussion, and they vote on your behalf in January.

David Ramsden

The motion has now been published as a Propositions for Consideration No.
03/2010 - Twickenham & Thames Valley BKA "The BBKA shall cease to endorse
pesticides and insecticides as soon as contractually possible."

IF YOU HAVE VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT, NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE THEM KNOWN TO YO
UR
BRANCH COMMITTEE so they can accurately reflect the position of their members at the meeting.

Much of the history of this issue can be found here:

The following link is to a petition to 'No. 10' to ban neonicotinoid
pesticides in the UK. It runs until 15 December -
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/banchemical

THE VANISHING OF THE BEES is showing in many venues throughout the UK, and in other countries. To see if there is a showing near you, go to
and scroll to the bottom of the page, where you will see a link to the current schedule. It is a must-see for beekeepers and any
one interested in the welfare of wildlife.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Grizzly I removed 2 of the links as both websites are owned by Phil Chandler over at Biobees.

It seems that website is the place to go if anyone wants to get involved in any active properganda regarding BBKA funding.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Take out what you like dude, i just copied and pasted from my e-mail, im not after a discussion on the bbka, just wondered if anyone else received the same communication ?

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi grizzly, I also recived the letter above the other day, but all it means is you have signed up for his news letter!

Sorry Admin I will go to confession tomorrow for straying from your flock and not worshiping you and my beehaus!

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Jim,
I have noticed that the majority of our members love to chat beekeeping but fail to loggin and read posts when things get political.
I am just trying to protect the forum,not get a flock together.

Personaly I like to try and keep the forum in the middle ground,not supporting the anti chemical crusade or supporting the inner workings of the BBKA.

Beekeeping in a friendly and lighthearted manner,thats what I am trying to promote,even when I get it wrong like I may of in the post above.

Mark.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi grizzly, I also recived the letter above the other day, but all it means is you have signed up for his news letter!
Just for the record, my Halo remains intact, i have never been on the Biowotsit website, one of our association members got the communication and forwarded the mail to all members.

:Angel_anim:

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
should this be in 'pesticides,enviromental and political issues' ?

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
The philosopher Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'

Last edited:

GingerNut 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I emailed this info to my local BKA and this is the reply I received..................so I'm happy :)

Yours Roy

Hello all
Neither the secretary or chairman have received this direct.

For those that don’t know the history of this subject this is basically what I believe happened:
At some time in the not too distant past an offer was made by certain chemical companies to BBKA to the effect that “BBKA would endorse certain ‘ bee friendly’ products for which the companies would make a donation to BBKA on an annual basis”. This offer was put before the BBKA technical committee, who could see no problems in accepting; after all these were accepted as bee friendly products. BBKA was also a bit strapped for cash at the time so this deal helped to keep the subs down. As I recall the membership was informed of this deal, albeit after the event, but I suspect most did not take a great deal of interest, except to note it kept BBKA’s subs down. This arrangement went on quietly for a number of years until someone in the press got wind of it and decided to make a story of it, then people suddenly noticed and we are now getting all sorts stories about things being done and the membership not being consulted. I thought that was what we elected committees for, to make decisions on our behalf.

From my own point of view I believe that BBKA were being a bit naive when they accepted the deal, but we have to remember that:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]BBKA committee members are amateurs although many have a great deal of knowledge of their subjects.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We all know a lot more and are far less trusting than we were even 5 years ago, so if someone wants to give us money for endorsing a ‘safe’ product, we would now ask why. Although I remember some of us did wonder at the time.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We can access information much more easily & quickly than we used to, but not all the information available is true/un biased especially on the internet. At least in a book or periodical views are more likely to be challenged.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The money has, apparently, enabled BBKA to keep the subs lower by £1 or £2 which was always considered a good thing. Whether this remains the case with the explosion of new member remains to be seen and maybe it is time to ask BBKA for an up to date costing.

Finally what I find rather irritating is being spammed by some people who want me to vote for something at BBKA when they aren’t even members. I had a lengthy discussion, on an internet forum, with one such beekeeper and when I suggested he join his local beekeepers and work from within gave all sorts of reasons for not joining. The main one was because BBKA is in the hands of ‘the spawn of the devil’ because they deal with chemical companies , but I suspect if that was changed he would find other reasons.

The last time this was discussed at committee our view was, that “we would prefer BBKA did not endorse these products”, our HBA delegates were instructed to inform HBA of our views and vote accordingly. Without further discussion within PDBKA that is how it still stands and our delegates are still under that instruction.

When it was discussed at HBA it was decided to support BBKA and to keep to the Technical Committee’s recommendations.

When it came to the BBKA ADM the resolution was defeated, partly I believe, because it was pointed out that without this money our BBKA subs would have to go up.

I am not sure if this will come up at the next HBA meeting but if it does our delegates will vote accordingly.

I hope this helps to explain the situation.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I would rather pay more to BBKA than align myself with Bayer.:cuss:

Maybe BBKA need to see where the money is going and cut down on areas of waste - bit of housekeeping and less self indulgence if it occurs- and if it doesn't -would be a first for a big organisation.
But I repeat - pay a little more and keep our conscience clear:angelsad2:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
BBKA committee members "amateurs" - come on! Heavens to murgatroyd - one of them owned a bally drug company..... and if they were such "babes in the wood" innocents, how come they chose deliberately not to tell the rank and file what they'd done until someone started asking awkward questions, then used every trick in the book not to have it discussed/voted on at local level?
"Finally what I find rather irritating is being spammed by some people who want me to vote for something at BBKA when they aren’t even members" - I resemble that remark!
I would, like many others dearly love to be a member of my local association, populated as it is for the most part by good, well-meaning people, but I have been forcibly told it's membership of the BBKA without the option, so as a point of principle feel unable to remain a member, and to have my name seen as part of the support of a deeply corrupt organisation is deeply repugnant. Having personally experienced the fact that in my local association most of the members were completely in the dark about these matters, and that the club and area chairmen were going to vote to continue the scurrilous relationship without discussing it with the rank and file, I was left with no option.
So what are people like me supposed to do? - keep quiet, and allow a great wrong to continue to be perpetrated? - or try to at least inform people about a chance to exercise their democratic rights, as you know full well that given half a chance, the powers that be will do their utmost to strongarm through their desires.........
"This arrangement went on quietly for a number of years until someone in the press got wind of it and decided to make a story of it" - deliberate attempt to hide the truth from the rank and file is the truth of it!

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Amen to that- for once, Brosville :)
They didnt even state the name of the company - just an agrochemical....Ashamed to --I wonder??

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Is it a polite way of saying bl**dy ?

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
What the hell is a bally drug company

The sort that produce damaging as well as safe products - but all drug companies produce both - sometimes inadvertently. But Bayer know, and we know, that THEY produce chemicals that also harm bees - so we should not allow out BBKA logo near them . Talk -yes; compromise ourselves no.

And it was done because the BBKA were short of funds - 30 pieces of silver comes to mind.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
I'd even question that it was done for reasons as simple as shortage of funds - I suspect it has FAR more to do with the incredibly rich and powerful Big Ag lobby finding willing partners in certain officers of an ostensibly "independent" association, and enlisting them to be part of their disinformation campaign - and particularly thick officers too - if you're going to compromise an association's good name, you should at least get a market rate for doing so, not chicken feed!
It is of course totally unconnected that the BBKA exec has fought tooth and nail to even prevent the matter being discussed, and more worryingly, (until there was too much of a stink going on to totally ignore it) working extremely hard to exclude "icides" from the avenues to be researched under various assorted initiatives!
One does wonder if they'll enjoy their evening at a performance of the Magic Flute with their bedfellows from Bayer and Syngenta............

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Waking up my local Association

Last Friday we hosted the County AGM. My association only recently rejoined the County and BBKA following some unexplained breakaway some time ago. I raised the matter of the motion of the BBKA regarding their continued use of the money from chemical companies. I tried to hide my true feeling but suggested that on a matter so important thet the County delegate might take soundings from all the members. I was told by the Chairman that we had a democratic organisation and that I should make my views known to my local representative and he would then pass them on to the delegate. My local rep has not asked for views and seemed bewildered that rank and file members should be consulted. (I believe this version of democracy is the one practised by the EU!!). Our County Association voted against taking the funds last time but there was a palpable air of concern that membership fees may have to rise if the chemical companies remove their support. the county delegate has agreed to contact all individual members via their local associations asking opinions. Time is however short and I have received nothing as yet. (If it follows the normal course i will receive an e-mail the day before the decision has to be taken.
I recived a little support from the floor during the meeting, whilst the Chaiman was basically telling me to shut up. Afterwards during the bun fight a number of my colleagues and those from other associations approached me to express their own concerns and thank me for raising it.
On the subject of AGMs and election of officers I attended my associations earlier this year and was appalled that the democratic process of electing officers was that members just rubber stamped the committeee and their selections. No nominations were asked for or accepted from the floor. At the County AGM the same procedure was followed. I will be writing to our committee in the New Year to request a copy of the constitution and minutes of the meeting where the politburo decided the make up of the association representatives for the next year.

Latest posts