Anyone experienced this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + 3 nuc
Hi All,

Whilst preparing one of our honey crops for jarring, I thought I'd check what it tasted like, as you do. Yummy but the after effect was like I'd just used mouthwash or sucked strepsils; not the taste but a slight numbing of mouth and tongue. May be just me but what could possibly it in to have that effect.
Colonies in a overgrown walled garden and orchard, surrounding farmland mainly pasture, one barley/wheat field to the rear. Next test on her in doors.

I also have the same effect when I taste honey. I don't have the same effect when drinking home made mead

I always thought it was the naturally occuring oxalic acid.

I also have a similar effect with pineapple or pineapple juice.

It is not unpleasant, just a bit odd. I dont eat honey as such. Just medicinally at certain times of the year.

Hi Pete,
Like you I don't eat much honey but you've got to try each crop haven't you!
This is the first time it's had this effect, see what HID's says?

Yes Russell, I've noticed it- maybe because:

"Honey is an effective antiseptic wound dressing, mainly the result of the antibacterial activity of hydrogen peroxide that is produced in honey by the enzyme glucose oxidase"

a bit like the voltaic effect from licking coins....

Hi All,

Whilst preparing one of our honey crops for jarring, I thought I'd check what it tasted like, as you do. Yummy but the after effect was like I'd just used mouthwash or sucked strepsils; not the taste but a slight numbing of mouth and tongue. May be just me but what could possibly it in to have that effect.
Colonies in a overgrown walled garden and orchard, surrounding farmland mainly pasture, one barley/wheat field to the rear. Next test on her in doors.

What are the main trees you have within two miles excluding fruit trees?

but a slight numbing of mouth and tongue. May be just me but what could possibly it in to have that effect.

I don't have the same effect when drinking home made mead

That's odd - I find after the tenth glass not only my tongue gets numb, but my lower limbs too

QUOTE=Russel;379004] Next test on her in doors.[/QUOTE]

If it works, I'll buy the whole batch - I've been looking for something to disable SWMBO's tongue and mouth for years

Goodwood: None that I've noticed but......

Dishmop: You are awful :D

Enrico: Would say broad leaf but there's a few fir plantations. We're on a Woodland Trust site which as a mix of both, as to the actual type well.....

Luminos: :rolleyes:

jenkinsbrynmair: Dream on but just in case join the queue

Last edited:
Plants produce all sort of toxic stuff in their wars with other plant and pests e.g. and bees pass it on e.g. Phenols which are considered hazardous chemical for transport purposes.
Natural = chemical warfare material

If the honey tastes like mouthwash as in Listerine then someone has been using Apiguard (or similar) with supers on! As a honey judge I have noticed a hint of thymol in a few honies on the shopbench in the last few years.

If the honey tastes like mouthwash as in Listerine then someone has been using Apiguard (or similar) with supers on! As a honey judge I have noticed a hint of thymol in a few honies on the shopbench in the last few years.

It tastes like honey should - yummy - but leaves my mouth feeling slightly numb. Not had chance to try on HiD's yet. I'll probably end up on the naughty step or worse, but'll be worth it to see her face!

Lime honey is often described as having a slight medicinal flavour and although tasting rather nice does have a slight kick in the back of the throat

Lime honey is often described as having a slight medicinal flavour and although tasting rather nice does have a slight kick in the back of the throat

Hi Tom point taken but this batch doesn't taste medicinal just has an odd effect on me. Think I might do a few samples for the neighbors?:eek: They might not be so quick coming round for freebies but then again someone's bound to like it. Maybe I can get the Manuka crowd interested?

think mine had very much that flavour this year, lovely and smooth start and a burn in the throat finish.

:iagree:

Thymol has a very similar chemical structure to phenol so would taste similar to antiseptic mouthwash. Moreover Listerine contains thymol as one of its ingredients as it has antiseptic properties.

I read on some posh expensive honey selling website that proper honey leaves a catch at the back of your throat as an aftertaste......So that's what you have .....REAL honey. Well done !!!

Russel any chance it could be ivy honey?

Last edited:
What I have heard about buckwheet honey: not to normal human consumption-

About sunflower honey I have heard too bad comments.

Latest posts

Back