anyone consider selling a few frames of brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nottingham

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I was wondering if any members would be willing to sell me a few frames of brood on standard national brood frames. I was also thinking that if there was a market for selling frames of brood without bees on the frames how much would the going price be? I was thinking £5 - £8 a frame. I look forward to the replies to this thread.

Regards

Duncan

Never mind selling them, why would you want to buy them? The risk of disease transfer springs obviously to mind. The only time you need "brood" is when beekeepers are maintaining unmanageably small colonies, or too few to allow them to be balanced. If colonies are still unmanagably small, it begs the question why? e.g. is their disease present already in the colony.

Adam

Frood frames will die alone. If you sell them with nursing bees, it is called nuc.

Another problem you would encounter is transportation. How are you going to get brood from A to B still alive. Without bees this is very difficult.

Hi Adam, last September I tried to introduce a new Queen to my colony, as it was a July swarm and the bees killed the queen and made there own. So I now have an 10 frame and 1 blank board frame hive of bees but I only have 4 frames with brood on. So I was hoping to buy 3 or 4 frames of brood, then graft some eggs into a frame with cells to breed a stronger Queen.

Frood frames will die alone. If you sell them with nursing bees, it is called nuc.

I find that some members are so sarky, that there is no wonder that new members are scared to death of making mistakes or asking the wrong thing. I am not trying to though my toys out the pram lol but yet I only asked a question

I find that some members are so sarky, that there is no wonder that new members are scared to death of making mistakes or asking the wrong thing. I am not trying to though my toys out the pram lol but yet I only asked a question

Finman isn't being sarky- his first language is Finnish!

Finman is Finnish. English is not his his first language, I believe, so comes across as very direct.

He is also Finnish. Therefore he comes across very direct. Period, as they say in the US of A.

I am very sorry, I wish I could take back my rude comment. Sorry Finman.

Yet is it such a risk to add frames of brood from another hive?

From one you don't know anything about, I'd say yes.

You know nothing about the colony or the competence of the beekeeper when he assures you it's from a healthy colony.

Messing

Hi

As you have a Queen already...why mess with them...this is almost Summer..let them enjoy and be bees...why do humans always think they know better than the bees....who came first, the human or the bee..heheheh

regards

roy

Hi Adam, last September I tried to introduce a new Queen to my colony, as it was a July swarm and the bees killed the queen and made there own. So I now have an 10 frame and 1 blank board frame hive of bees but I only have 4 frames with brood on. So I was hoping to buy 3 or 4 frames of brood, then graft some eggs into a frame with cells to breed a stronger Queen.

Nice bit of lateral thinking, that. Anyone else would just buy a new queen.

Nottingham, I think I would consider an expansion to 2 colonies through what ever route you choose, that gives you some future self sufficient manipulation options. As previously mentioned in this thread, I would also leave your current colony to build at their own pace. Given your circumstances I think your only other option is to re-queen, that automatically gives you a potential 'mini' brood gap and some uncertainty with regard acceptance, is that a move forward?. What are your objectives for that colony this year?

I like your logic Nottingham if a bit flawed from inexperience to which you cheerfully admit.

If I can assist please pm.

PH

Something seems to be missing in this thread. Perhaps its just me.

Can I recommend you contact your local BKA and ask for some friendly local soul to see if they can help you out.

I had a very small colony earlier this year and a couple of forum members (mike a and merylvingien) very kindly, generously, and patiently offered assistance. I was given some brood and some bees to bolster my failing fortunes. All gratis and I am hugely grateful.

I think the need for you to pay should be unnecessary, especially if you contact your local BKA. If you were nearer I would help you out but I think transportation over a big distance could be a problem. Also give a call to your local pest control firms...they are bound to get swarms and may be grateful to get shot or call you to retrieve them. This may bolster (and possibly offer you a replacement queen) your bees.

I see that Poly Hive has also offered possible assistance - well done that man.

good luck,
Sam.

Latest posts

Back