Anybody know their pollens?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyTh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I had a late super of honey, put on in September, taken off in early October, that had enough ivy in the mix to set solid and fine-grained and to have THAT taste and smell. Surprisingly our local BKA microscopist found a dominance of a pollen that wasn't ivy. His books didn't have a picture of anything similar to what he saw (attached, if the site will allow me to upload it). Pollen grain size is circa 150 microns. Anyone recogise the species?

Attachments

• pollen - lobed.doc
    122.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Possibly Onagraceae family. i.e Willowherb or Evening Primrose.

Last edited:
I'd tend more towards evening primrose based on its size at 175 um (willow herb is smaller) plus the protrusions through the pores are more pronounced in EP than Willow Herb.
I can't seem to post pictures or links to scanning EM of
Evening Primrose or.Willow Herb
But if you do a google search of Evening Primrose pollen pictures and the same for willow herb you'll see what I mean.

The slide preparation may have exaggerated the protrusions, so it's good to collect pollen from the flowers themselves, when in season. That way you know they will have been prepared under roughly the same conditions.

Latest posts

Back