Anybody here been beekeeping in Spain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoop

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
poly hives
I know this is a UK forum , but has anybody here been a beekeeper in Spain or know one. I am trying to find out which product the beekeepers on the ground have a preference for APivar or Apitraz, are there side effects and what are the efficacy's of both?

I know this is a UK forum , but has anybody here been a beekeeper in Spain or know one. I am trying to find out which product the beekeepers on the ground have a preference for APivar or Apitraz, are there side effects and what are the efficacy's of both?

both apivar, Biovar500 and apitraz500 ( apitraz500 is now approved in uk) have 500mg of amitraz insecticide in a plastic strip delivery system

some reports on spainish forums say the spanish made apitraz500 delivery system is less stable and kills less varroa than apivar or Biovar 500(Polish) but i can find no research done

it could well be that what was being seen was varroa developing resistance to Amitraz

i am rather disappointed apitraz has been approved in UK as previously 500mg amitraz strip on Veterinary licence was the silver bullet and drops were high at 99% because Amitraz was used very occasionally due to need of a veterinary prescription but with it on general sale and people not following instruction etc etc Apitraz500 will be used uk wide and soon be as useless as Apistan

Last edited:
I spoke to a Spaniard earlier this year who had 100+ hives. He was telling me that he used a copper strip to control varroa, and that they didnt use OA or anything else. Claimed it was really effective.

I spoke to a Spaniard earlier this year who had 100+ hives. He was telling me that he used a copper strip to control varroa, and that they didnt use OA or anything else. Claimed it was really effective.

I heard that a few years ago, I believe it was used in New Zealand. I've tried it with the copper slug tape, on a nuc box and forgot all about it until now. The electric charge is supposed to repel the varroa as the bees enter. Juries still out.

It can be discussed ad infinitum. It still won't work.

Latest posts

Back