Any use for old tumble dryer?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
Hi all,
Before I take SWMBO‘s old tumble dryer to be recycled, is there a beekeeping use for them.
Seems a shame to waste a stainless steel drum and such.
Its a Meile too😀

The stainless drum is a great fire-pit.

Hi all,
Before I take SWMBO‘s old tumble dryer to be recycled, is there a beekeeping use for them.
Its a Meile too😀
I don't know - but if you get any sensible answers I have just replaced our gas fired White Knight one and the drum and casing are sitting outside the back door and I've been itching to re-purpose. I already have an incerator and a fire bowl so they don't work.

I make a lot of compost and I would rather like a means of heat sterlising it prior to using it for seedlings ... like these people in the USA

And I've been trying to think how the tumble drier drum could be used ....

I don't know - but if you get any sensible answers I have just replaced our gas fired White Knight one and the drum and casing are sitting outside the back door and I've been itching to re-purpose. I already have an incerator and a fire bowl so they don't work.

I make a lot of compost and I would rather like a means of heat sterlising it prior to using it for seedlings ... like these people in the USA

And I've been trying to think how the tumble drier drum could be used ....

I shall be stripping said item apart tomorrow and will be hoping for inspiration.
Lots of good ideas if you search “upcycle dryer drum” on Pinterest.
Not found anything to do with beekeeping yet though.
Favourite at the moment is for log storage container. Fire pits look tempting too though.

I think the compost sanitiser is a little unnecessary for my purposes, but a good idea I suppose.

The idea of a fire pit is a good one or even a veg planter. I have a defunct WM that needs getting rid of, the drum needs removing first.

Last edited:
I have a mint upright spinner that I keep wondering if I would dry cappings with in some way. What puts me off is I don't think I would fancy the honey that came out. But I suppose the bees may like it back??
Like this:
a3db5398-1602-4b60-92a6-2552de1853e2_1.7fd7a627b7fc43a0cefa8599519f725a.jpeg

Hi all,
Its a Meile too😀
I have found stainless steel to be a VERY valuable material as I have made various pieces of equipment for my bees, as well as other things. If it was me (and I have "rescued" various appliances which contain stainless steel components- clothes dryers, dish washing machines) I would never use them for things like composters or fire pits. For example, I have made my own hive tools from some thick stainless steel, a large letter box for the postman to leave our mail, and metal components of my SHB trap. Because it is stainless - non-rusting - it is so much more suitable than plain steel, or even galvanised steel sheet, for items which are exposed to the weather, or to many (but maybe not all) chemicals which get used around the home and garden.

I have a mint upright spinner that I keep wondering if I would dry cappings with in some way. What puts me off is I don't think I would fancy the honey that came out.
Like this:

Why not?
If it's clean there's no difference in the honey from that and an extractor, surely
Poly Hive on this forum used to use one.

I have a mint upright spinner that I keep wondering if I would dry cappings with in some way. What puts me off is I don't think I would fancy the honey that came out. But I suppose the bees may like it back??
Like this:
a3db5398-1602-4b60-92a6-2552de1853e2_1.7fd7a627b7fc43a0cefa8599519f725a.jpeg
Yes I’ve seen these old uprights turned into capping dryers also 1 old beek ran some heather through. Cappings or comb was placed in bags inside it worked fine and nothing wrong with the honey.

The idea of a fire pit is a good one or even a veg planter. I have a defunct WM that needs getting rid of some the drum need removing.

I remember reading a few years ago that someone had converted an old washing machine to be a dedicated syrup maker. Granulated sugar & hot water in + warm wash cycle = syrup out :)

Did use one as a store, but it rusted badly. Use any SS parts and motor then get rid before it becomes a problem.

I remember reading a few years ago that someone had converted an old washing machine to be a dedicated syrup maker. Granulated sugar & hot water in + warm wash cycle = syrup out :)
Finman does with an old fashioned single tub upright washer

If you're taking it apart and the motor is still good you could use it to motorise an extractor. The high torque the motor generates to spin the dryer drum is perfect for spinning an extractor full of honey.

If you're taking it apart and the motor is still good you could use it to motorise an extractor. The high torque the motor generates to spin the dryer drum is perfect for spinning an extractor full of honey.
Now that sounds interesting....
(Still would hardly have used it this year though. An extractor full of honey......oh well!)

Hi all,
Its a Meile too😀

Your wife could wear it as a hat at Ascot races. It will not be as daft as some the headwear seen there.

Latest posts

Back