any tips for sourcing an out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As the title really, ours our currently on our allotment, but I would like to try and source an out apiary ready to increase number next year.

Use Google Earth find a suitable site with all the prerequisites forum the bees then directly approach the land owner.. That works..

Cheers Fred, never thought of using maps, we have alot of osr fields around us, I'll try and get hold of one or 2 of the local farm owners, I'm sure the promise of a bit of free honey might help things along.

I put notices on the boards in local post offices and shops and got a great response.

Contact your local NFU branch and ask them to circulate a notice asking for apiary sites. You might end up with more than you need.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll get on with it, is there any particular type of crops I should be asking about, apart from the obvious osr

Gumtree is good, I had lots of people offering land for an apiary, unfortunately they were too far for me to travel, care must be taken when writing your advertisement, I think I put something like "Free Honey and pollination"

get known by a couple of farmers (in a positive way!)

Farmers\Landowners come to me now!

get known by a couple of farmers (in a positive way!)

Farmers\Landowners come to me now!

Definitely get known by farmer's.. even go knocking on door's of farmer's who grow crop's other than wheat and barley.. i know several from year's of pest control and they love Bee's and Bee Hives .. i have had 2 offer's last month to put the hive in a pea and bean field crop area but i'm new to this hobby and i want my hive where i know it's very safe.. plus i have a pefect spot for it now.. if i ever did expand i could use these crop field's and heather moor's but time will tell..

On a negative note if you do get a farm for your hives research the land /the local's and the amount of poaching on the land.. because if there's plenty of game without a good game keeper the hive's will 99% certainly get tampered with or go missing..

Good Luck.

I put an advert in the local free paper for £20 and got dozens of offers, many were gardens but I got a very nice site out of it.

When is the best time to secure an apiary? do I get on it now, or wait until spring build up.

Find an area with hedges and woodland within foraging distance, and possibly a village with orchards and urban type planting. You don't want to find yourself in a one-crop prairie.

I agree with the suggestion to ask your association. I was on the committee at mine and we were regularly offered gardens/land by people who wanted to help bees out but didn't ant to keep them themselves. Not all were suitable but some were.

Latest posts

Back