Any structural or Mechanical engineers out there?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Can anyone help me determine the strength in compression (weight loading capacity) of a aluminium box section (30 x 40 x3mm wall thickness)that is 1400mm long in the vertical plane?

Hmmm you could well be speaking ancient Hebrew as far as I'm concerned, but I do know a structural engineer unfortunatly he's away on a conference in China right now. How quickly do you need to know because I can ask him in about a week or so?

PS
'If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be--Duct Tape it
If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be--WD-40 it '

Beyond true!

Hi

Can anyone help me determine the strength in compression (weight loading capacity) of a aluminium box section (30 x 40 x3mm wall thickness)that is 1400mm long in the vertical plane?

If you are talking about the aluminium box section standing vertically and supporting a load as a free standing column, then the load carrying capacity is limited by collapsing instability rather than absolute strength of the material.

This is not an easy one to answer and it also depends if there will be any lateral forces applied. If there are then this would drastically reduce the load carrying capacity.

The thing to rember is length - strength goes down rapidly with an increase in length ; by the square of the length in fact. For example a 36" tube would support four times the load at 18" and only a quarter of the load at 72".

You don't seem to be getting many answers Jim. This could be because either not many structural engineers are both beekeepers and forum members, or because structural engineers don't give advice for free . . .

I suspect that failure in bending will happen long before collapse in compression. Your answers are more likely to be found in aviation structural literature and at a fairly high level. Why not ask a manufacturer who would be more likely to know such things than a structural engineer - who would consult the manufacturer or the mfr's literature to determine the answer.

There is strength in numbers of course and multiple tubes would support more weight as would shorter tubes. So stacking two short arrays of 700mm tubes would support more weight than one array of 1400mm. Think lattice mast bracing or pallet type construction where the tubes are attached to sheet material top and bottom.

If you were able to share with us your application, then you might get a better range of responses (to filter to your hear's content).

In compression, I would imagine that your specified tube would be good for a tonne, but would likely fail in bending quite quickly if it was on it's ownio!

Do share, then the thread might go somewhere.

Well Hombre, you're wrong in some of your conjecture, but right with your advice.

The axial capacity of a bit of aluminium tube will vary depending on exactly how it's installed. The number would be meainingless and quite possibly wrong without the context.

Yes, I am a structural engineer and a beekeeper, and we have been known to give advice for free. But as an engineer, the advice can be quite technically specific and somethimes not alot of use without a load of other stuff to go with it!

Hi

need to know application and type of Aluminium and is it extruded or folded?.... I would not trust that thickness and section over 30 KN, but do not quote me on that !!!!!

Best to use an Acro prop?

need to know application and type of Aluminium and is it extruded or folded?.... I would not trust that thickness and section over 30 KN, but do not quote me on that !!!!!

Best to use an Acro prop?

30kn = 3,000kg, far more than i need.

Any way a bit more to my simple question that listed above, so I went to manufacture of the item and they have confimed loads for me.

Did not they they would/could, as item is 20 years old.

Thanks anyway, Its good to talk about things other than bees:rolleyes:

Jim, is it really a secret device or are you just teasing the life out of the inquisitive?

What is this device, my curiosity is piqued? :)

Testing to destruction!

Hi

Can anyone help me determine the strength in compression (weight loading capacity) of a aluminium box section ?

I'm no structural Engineer, BUT;

Try standing on a beer can (empty of course) then, whilst it supports your weight, get someone to touch the can on opposite sides at the same time! ! !
The application of what, appears to be an insignificant force, will be quite significant!
:eek:
Be prepared to offer at least one full can to whoever applied the "insignificant force" if they're still connected to their fingers!

Latest posts

Back