Any scouts at your swarm trap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Last spring/early summer I was fascinated as people started to post on here about scouts appearing at their bait hives and eventually swarms arriving.

I guess ‘swarm season’ starts at different times depending where you are in the country…

It would be really interesting to hear when people start to get activity at their swarm traps and see pictures/vids of what’s going on!

Nothing to report here in north Cumbria as yet…

I have several traps out and no real interest yet (West Yorkshire). Couple of curious bees, but not scouts - just sniffing the old comb and wondering if there's honey in there.

I’ve 8 swarm traps out (got most of them out last week) no interest yet would think it’s abit to cold at the minute!

I put out a swarm trap (poly nuc box up a tree) at the end of March just to get ahead of the game. During the warmer weather there were scouts showing interest and were happily going in and out. The cold snap obviously put a stop to any further activity. Hoping the weather will warm up again!

I’ve 8 swarm traps out (got most of them out last week) no interest yet would think it’s abit to cold at the minute!

Great to hear you’ve got them out though…and a good number of them at that! Are you in Lincolnshire?

I put out a swarm trap (poly nuc box up a tree) at the end of March just to get ahead of the game. During the warmer weather there were scouts showing interest and were happily going in and out. The cold snap obviously put a stop to any further activity. Hoping the weather will warm up again!

That sounds promising…next week looks pretty settled with fair weather. Maybe a bit on the cool side in the north. Looks set to be warm-ish down south…

That sounds promising…next week looks pretty settled with fair weather. Maybe a bit on the cool side in the north. Looks set to be warm-ish down south…
Yes the weather in Scotland looks to be improving by next weekend.

Great to hear you’ve got them out though…and a good number of them at that! Are you in Lincolnshire?

Yes North Lincs, had four swarm traps out last year and we were lucky enough to have 3 out of the 4 filled by the middle of May!

No attention at any yet as its still too cold in my opinion but if it warms next week I think some swarming will be on the cards.
It takes 5 national frames, I put in one with comb and 4 foundationless. It's made from 3/8" cedar 9" wide.

As I understand it scouts like to judge the size of the void and foundation makes that harder, hence my use of foundationless frames.

As I understand it scouts like to judge the size of the void and foundation makes that harder, hence my use of foundationless frames.
Also, nosy humans in the area seem to influence the decision, In the past I have lost swarms by being curious and looking inside to see what is going on, the scouts never came back. My advice is, if you see visitors, keep well clear.

Also, nosy humans in the area seem to influence the decision, In the past I have lost swarms by being curious and looking inside to see what is going on, the scouts never came back. My advice is, if you see visitors, keep well clear.
I agree, no need to look inside unless you think there’s a swarm in there. Can always open up after dusk if replacing lemongrass oil…

Put one out today about 7 feet up by the side of the garage. Double nuc, OMF sealed up, a piece of old comb and a small dash of lemongrass oil 🤞

I did the same, placing a deep box at around that height over the shed. Literally, five minutes later, there were bees checking it out. What s**t is to flies, lemongrass-oil seems to be for bees; they were sniffing around my gloves in a non-hostile way all afternoon as I was gardening.

Back