Any recommendations for a new smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have bought 2 smokers this year, both cheapo's and both have fallen to bits.

So with a birthday coming up soon, I thought I would treat myself to a decent one!

Are there any all time favourites to go for? Any recommendations please?

Cliff

Did you get them off Ebay ?

I like the copper smoker and have 3.
If you drop them and they leak it is easy to bash them back into shape and make the seams leakproof.

I have just fitted new bellows to one of mine that must be at least 20 years old.

Try Rooftops website, he does the dadant smoker, supposed to be the best of the best, a friend of mine has had one for at least ten years and he has replaced nothing just cleaned it. but is the thick end of fifty quid. I have a Rauchboy, bought from ebay but expensive and again it is in caustic as we speak(less bellows) having a decoke but otherwise in as new condition other than a few dents that I have knocked out.
kev
Sorry Rooftops is Modern beekeeping.

Last edited:
Yes, they were from ebay.
The finger handle, the bit that you use to open the lid pulled off, the hinges snapped and a filter from inside the smoker fell out.

Something much stronger is wanted.

Just treat yourself to one decent one- and don't use it so often!
Have near for emergency but just try opening colony slowly gently and no smoke. You will find smoker lasts for years:hurray:

I would buy a bigger one than I think I would need.

Always stainless steel for me.

Spend on it as it is your most important tool. You can always fudge a hive tool but not a smoker.

PH

My original was from Th*rne as was it's replacement.

The first had alumiium pop rivets on the hinge - not good; got hot, melted. It was also too small, so not a long enough burn and often went out prematurely, especially on light-up.

My second is perfectly OK after about seven years, maybe eight.

Both are stainless steel, purchased because S/S is a poorer heat conductor than copper, so should stay alight better, if at the cost of slightly hotter smoke on occasions. Compromises again.

I agree with poly Hive; wood chisels, screwdrivers, paint scrapers and other tools/items have all been used when those d*mn hive tools have been hiding, or simply disappeared (for ever).

Regards, RAB

Tonybloke and Polyhive

The smoker recommended earlier are just under £50.00

They do a 7*4 inch and 10*4 inch for similar money.

Is the 10 inch ok to use, not too big and clumsy?
Cliff

Yes, they were from ebay.
The finger handle, the bit that you use to open the lid pulled off, the hinges snapped and a filter from inside the smoker fell out.

Something much stronger is wanted.

I've used a dadant for over 20 years S/Steel;
I decoke it with a blowlamp and often forget to bring it up from the apiary :eek:
I learned something new (to me) this year , Doing a quick job and having no fuel at hand I used tightly screwed up newspaper.
I plonked the smoker down , 1 1/2 hrs later it still had a curl of smoke drifting out of the spout :)

John Wilkinson

Mine is from maisemore last year ( clearance £20 free postage ) the same one on their web site is over £40 beechwood have one for just over £20 and from the photos they look the same

I've used a dadant for over 20 years S/Steel;
I decoke it with a blowlamp and often forget to bring it up from the apiary :eek:
I learned something new (to me) this year , Doing a quick job and having no fuel at hand I used tightly screwed up newspaper.
I plonked the smoker down , 1 1/2 hrs later it still had a curl of smoke drifting out of the spout :)

John Wilkinson

I thought that the ink was toxic Regards Andrew

So is Smoke ?

Most beeks use newspaper as kindling :laughing-smiley-004

John Wilkinson

I'm going to go for the Dadant one as recommended earlier.

The only query is go for the 7 inch or 10 inch one??

Cliff

The bigger the better (size does matter)
Saves refilling as often especially as your empire grows :bigear:

John Wilkinson

You may not need as much smoke if you can intimidate them with a BIG smoker.

I noticed that the BIs I have met tend to use large Dadant smokers by default. Not sure if it is an NBU issue or recommendation or pure personal preference.

OK, thanks for all your suggestions. I have ordered the 10 inch Dadant. I'll post up a nice shiny pic when it arrives.

Cliff

I received one of the 10" Dadant's for my birthday back in May, it came from Highland Beekeepers who gave great service apparently.

It has had very little use, I light it every time as insurance but rarely use it as I have quite chilled bees. I use newspaper to start and old hessian coffee sacks and it will happily tick over for over an hour without any attention and still be lit. From my limited experience it seems well built and looks like it will last, and if nothing else a 10" smoker is a talking point with other beek's :D

If you're going to have one have a big 'un!

E71%20015.jpg

Latest posts

Back