Any recommendations for a good be brush?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The title says it all.

Any recommendations for a good brush?

Thanks as always.

The title says it all.

Any recommendations for a good brush?

Thanks as always.
I have always used a goose feather, the largest feathers (pinions?), which l pick up this time of year when my geese are moulting. The feather is sufficiently firm to remove bees very effectively and not soft enough for bees to get trapped in as l have seen with regular bee brushes.

Feathers are good, goose if you can get one. Horse hair brushes are best in my opinion, if you can get one these days. Personally if I need to 'brush' I just use some longer grass or green fern/bracken fronds.

Where in the hell do you get a goose wing? I find they tend to fly a little faster than me.
any poultry keeper who slaughters and dresses geese will have them, but personally, I seldom feel the urge or need to brush bees off comb so I don't have one.

Last edited:
Where in the hell do you get a goose wing? I find they tend to fly a little faster than me.

No need for a wing which acts more like a bee brush where bees get caught, just a feather. If you pm me with your address l will send you a few!

Forget the bee brush, waste of time and money. Use a goose wing or just cut a leafy twig from a handy nearby hedge and use that.
I've tried a goose wing, the girls really don't like it. The wing picks up a lot of stings. I'm guessing it's the flesh that's the problem, because there is little reaction if I use a goose feather. Goose feather any day of the week for me. I now have a large stash for the coming year.

I am fortunate and get given a swan feather from time to time. Excellent for gently removing remaining left over bees when clearing supers.

Grass.
Nettles work as well.

Latest posts

Back