Any one got cutting sheets for national hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_richmond

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi

Has anyone got cutting sheets for a national hive I have found 14x12 but I want to keep my hives all the same sizes like my thornes nationals.

Thanks Chris

chris how much did jewsons charge you to do the cuttingand also where did you get the sheet material

B&Q charge me £25 for a single 2440x1220x18 sheet (less for quantities) but the quality is quite good and it's sustainably sourced, and 50p per cut after the first two free cuts.

I usually only have two cuts and do the rest myself with a £15 jig-saw and straight edge.

The cheapest I have found is Selco at £14 per sheet plus vat, no free cuts, and the quality is sometimes a bit poor, but ok if you're prepared to pick your supply day.

I usually go to B&Q because it's quick and easy and I get a small retro-discount for using my account.

Maybe this helps someone.

JC.

very helpfull thank you what about the 44mm x 25 mm part and does anyone have any idea where i can get the metal to make a varroa floor

You can cut down from 44x44 if you have a circular saw or router. I use two pieces of par 12x32 (you'll work it out !).

Alternatively use H Pete's method with pieces cut from 12mm ply. See his amazing instructional videos on this forum.

C. Wynne Jones is ok for mesh. Some call it hardware cloth, you want 8 guage.

If you're in or near Birmingham, then Black Country Beekeeping Supplies (advert in the Warwickshire Beekeeper Magazine), are quite cheap for mesh, they import it themselves.

JC.

Last edited:
3 sheets of exterior ply spruce, 2 sheets 8x4 18mm exterior ply, 1 sheet cut into 30 pieces 424mm x 201mm and the other sheet cut into 25 pieces 460mm x 225mm, and 1 sheet 8x4 9mm cut into 10 crown boards cost £87.40 inc vat.

I then went back and got the 50mm x 25mm from them (cos I forgot) and got them cut to 460mm lengths 4 x 2.5m lengths Pressure treated beading including cutting cost £13.40

50mm x 25mm as its the 25mm bit that matters not the 44mm

By my reckoning that works out at about £8 per brood box including crown board plus you have bits left over to go towards making more so actually a bit under £8

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
For the bars I buy from Travis Perkins.
They sell planned timber as 44X26 so you just have to route the guides and saw the angle if you want one.

If you're using plywood, then by making the bars from 44x44 you can cover the cut edge of the ply which helps with waterproofing at the seam between bars and wall.

JC.

Gonna have a go at nucs once Ive built all these, so unless someone else comes up with a cutting sheet as requested by Admin I will make one myself.

Nucs are half-width hives. I use the same cutting method and just cut the end walls and bars into two. The roof needs the sides adjusting slightly for ease, depending on exactly how you construct your rooves.

JC.

Quick question, how many mm do you allow between pieces for cutting?

Chris, if you are sorted then post to confirm. If not I have a flat pack Thorne National Brood box which I have not put together yet. I'll measure and draw out all components if it helps you? Please confirm before I waste some time though. Regards, Rosti

"Quick question, how many mm do you allow between pieces for cutting?"

... That depends on the thickness of your saw blade!!

You don't normally do it quite like that. Yes, you need to allow for kerf of the cutting blade for measurement, but normally the length of correct section is cut to a 'stop', so each piece is an identical length to the first. The last piece cut should leave a minimal length of scrap. That way you should get square boxes (corners, I mean) and all the boxes are the same size. I am assuming you are using a power saw for your cutting.

Regards, RAB

I just asked them to cut it at the yard. From one 8X4 sheet I got them to cut 4 strips - one each for ends/sides of brood/super. Not the most efficient use of wood, but it was easier and quicker. Then the spare strip I am going to use for some a gabled roof design that depends on the size of the offcut piece. This way we just made sure each strip was the right size and didn't need to work out anything extra.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back