Any mistakes in Celia Davis 'The Honey Bee Inside Out'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieMc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am studying for Mod 5 Honey Bee Biology.

I have a second Edition of The Honey Bee Inside Out by Celia Davis and notice that on Page 11 under Antennae she says that the pedicel and flagellum consist of 11 parts in the worker and queen and 12 in the drone. Is this a mistake?
I thought there was 10 in the worker and queen and 11 in the drone

Are there any other misprints I should be aware of before I swot up?

Also (Mid Bucks et al) say that 10 HDA is 10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid
Yet others say 10HDA is 10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid

Which one is correct? Or are they all the same?

Thank you so much for any help

Don't know about the Antenna, but "10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid" is meaningless - it has to be "10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid"

9-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid?:)

9 oxi-2-decenoic acid for prevention of queen rearing while HM in session and supression of worker ovaries and 9hydroxi-2-decenoic acid for satbility of colony and swarms it is said by a 'calming ' influence

Last edited:

I have a second Edition of The Honey Bee Inside Out by Celia Davis and notice that on Page 11 under Antennae she says that the pedicel and flagellum consist of 11 parts in the worker and queen and 12 in the drone. Is this a mistake?

11 worker and 12 drone. extra one they say is for picking up the scent of queen during mating flights. ( Chanel number 5 does it for me!):)

9-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid?:)

9 oxi-2-decenoic acid for prevention of queen rearing while HM in session and supression of worker ovaries and 9hydroxi-2-decenoic acid for satbility of colony and swarms it is said by a 'calming ' influence

Thank you so much for your replies

Mid Bucks notes are a useful source of study notes for many and we thank them for their hard work and dedication

When I look at their notes I see that from the Mandibular gland -

Young worker, production of brood food and royal jelly
Mature worker, alarm pheromone issued by guard bees to ward off robbers and initiate stinging response from other bees
Gorging on pollen can cause gland to revert to food production
Queen, produces pheromones used in mating or part of queen substance

In young worker 10-HDO (10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid) which is principle fatty acid in brood food and acts as preservative
Older worker 2-heptanone which is the alarm pheromone
Queen produces :
9-oxodec-2-enoic acid (drone attractant when mating)
9-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid (holds swarm together)

so you can see how confusing it can get. Thanking you again
RosieMc

2 heptanóne from the mandibulalr gland also has anaesthetic properties e.g When bees grip a wax moth larvae using their mandibles the larvae stops struggling soon afterwards allowing several bees to drag it out of the hive. I not only witnessed this but also photographed it

see link below
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0047432

2 heptanóne from the mandibulalr gland also has anaesthetic properties e.g When bees grip a wax moth larvae using their mandibles the larvae stops struggling soon afterwards allowing several bees to drag it out of the hive. I not only witnessed this but also photographed it

see link below
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0047432

Wow! How interesting, especially the experiments with varroa. I didn't know honey bees could bite as a defence. So much to learn ......:thanks:

https://sites.google.com/site/hutchingsbeeservice/home/bee-anatomy

The paired antennae are highly sensitive organs made up of 12 segments in the female, and 13 segments in the male, and used in smelling, hearing, feeling and tasting.(see Figure 9)

Each antenna consists of the scape, the pedicel and then the 10 or 11 segmented flagellum. In the male, which has one more section in the flagellum, each segmented section can also be longer giving them an appearance of having longer antennae overall.

Alldigging : Please excuse the following from pedantic former biologist but the subdivisions (sections) of the flagellum are not true segments as they are not articulated with adjacent ones and are not provided with muscles.There is, however, a hinge joint between the pedicel and the scape and the two muscles that run between them enable the flagellum to move up and down .The flexible joint between the scape and head allows the antennae to rotate

Thank you so much for your replies

Mid Bucks notes are a useful source of study notes for many and we thank them for their hard work and dedication

When I look at their notes I see that from the Mandibular gland -

Young worker, production of brood food and royal jelly
Mature worker, alarm pheromone issued by guard bees to ward off robbers and initiate stinging response from other bees
Gorging on pollen can cause gland to revert to food production
Queen, produces pheromones used in mating or part of queen substance

In young worker 10-HDO (10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid) which is principle fatty acid in brood food and acts as preservative
Older worker 2-heptanone which is the alarm pheromone
Queen produces :
9-oxodec-2-enoic acid (drone attractant when mating)
9-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid (holds swarm together)

so you can see how confusing it can get. Thanking you again
RosieMc

Hi roseMc
10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid....Can't find a reference to this chemical. Do you know where information can be found? As far as I remeber (along time ago now!) this structure quoted does not exist in this form as the hydroxyl group is attached to the end of the base chain and if there were two hydoxyl groups then it would normally be written as 10-2- dihydroxy decanoic acid. Any pointers as to where this info. comes from? (anyone):)

Hi roseMc
10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid....Can't find a reference to this chemical. Do you know where information can be found? As far as I remeber (along time ago now!) this structure quoted does not exist in this form as the hydroxyl group is attached to the end of the base chain and if there were two hydoxyl groups then it would normally be written as 10-2- dihydroxy decanoic acid. Any pointers as to where this info. comes from? (anyone):)

The 10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid. 9-oxodec-2-enoic acid, 9-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid references all come from Mid Bucks Module 5 Study notes freely available on the net. Thank you for your help

Thank you once again - this link should keep me quiet for a while

Wow! How interesting, especially the experiments with varroa. I didn't know honey bees could bite as a defence. So much to learn ......:thanks:

The 2n-heptanone is also poisonous to honeybees so the defence is against robbers of their own kind as well.

Last edited:

10HDA

they are the same, though one tends to be use in usa, use google scholar or just wiki them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_bee_acid

see side bar on formula

And when i did module 5 i thought celia included the johston;s organ

as the extra "segment"

Last edited:
The 10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid. 9-oxodec-2-enoic acid, 9-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid references all come from Mid Bucks Module 5 Study notes freely available on the net. Thank you for your help

Thanks RosieMc.:)

Don't know about the Antenna, but "10-hydroxydec-2-enoic acid" is meaningless - it has to be "10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid"

They are one and the same thing and not meaningless just a DIFFERENT CONVENTION OF WRITING

EZ)-10-Hydroxydec-2-enoic acid
Synonyms
10-Hydroxydec-α-enoic acid;
10-Hydroxy-α-decenoic acid;
10-Hydroxy-2-decenoic acid;

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back