Any Landrover Series 3 Experts?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Started piecing together a Series 3 that's been in pieces for a couple of years.

looking for some pointers if any one can help.

many thanks

I only sold off my original series 3 workshop manuals a couple of years ago. The Series are basically big 'mechano' sets. This link, they have been around for ever, https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/series/ should give you some pointers. There is bound to be someone in your neck of the woods too. Also try the series clubs for specific questions.

Happy days.

I use a paper manual and a DVD manual. Paper is easier to read in its entirety, the DVD you can print individual pages for the workshop. There is a Series forum, but often the best thing is Google for a specific question.
The manuals have pretty good exploded diagrams.

There is (or was when I had one) a series three forum/club and it was pretty good.
I found that the workshop manuals were much easier to follow and more informative than the Haynes manual - in fact I have the Haynes manual handed down to me from SWMBO's late grandfather on the bookshelf behind me - He had one when they were fairly new, and a cut above my father and his two series 2A's :D
Fortunately for both of them, they were in their graves before the defenders came on the scene

There is (or was when I had one) a series three forum/club and it was pretty good.
I found that the workshop manuals were much easier to follow and more informative than the Haynes manual - in fact I have the Haynes manual handed down to me from SWMBO's late grandfather on the bookshelf behind me - He had one when they were fairly new, and a cut above my father and his two series 2A's :D
Fortunately for both of them, they were in their graves before the defenders came on the scene

Yes - the Land Rover manuals are easier to follow. And right from the hoses mouth, so to speak...

Stick to Land Rover Own manuals, they are very good and the parts schematics are spot on.

s3 landrovers are pritty much lego it's al pritty obvious where it all goes, only worry about the big oil leaks the whole drivetrain is allways damp with oil anyway no matter what you do well it seems that way, landrovers own workshop manuals for the fine details

I stripped down and rebuilt a Series 111 Lightweight many years ago. An engineering friend helped me with it a bit, especially when I changed the old head to lead-free. Believe me, if I could do it, anyone can, as I'm not that mechanically minded. It was a brilliant vehicle and I wish to this day that I had never sold it! :cry:

I stripped down and rebuilt a Series 111 Lightweight many years ago. An engineering friend helped me with it a bit, especially when I changed the old head to lead-free. Believe me, if I could do it, anyone can, as I'm not that mechanically minded. It was a brilliant vehicle and I wish to this day that I had never sold it! :cry:

I've got one of those - and it is brilliant, but a shock when getting into after driving a modern car! And you can only get two hives in the back.

Being the services, the proper name is 'Truck, Utility, 1/2 T, 4x4, 12 Volt, Rover Series 3' :ROFLMAO:

Pointers ......... a wheel in each corner would be a good start :)

I helped re-build a Series lll that had come from a UK airport, must be 20 years ago now - everything had been painted bright yellow ! Dead easy in terms of where everything goes- there isn't that much of it. Only hard bits .. captive bolts rusted and seized with salt corrosion from the winter. Lay in plenty of WD40 and a good blowtorch and perhaps a set of impact sockets .. I think the Series lll was all AF sizes so you will pay a lot more as AF sizes are getting to be rare animals these days with everything now metric. If it needs work on the gearboxes and diff ... get it done professionally before you start anything else. Real PITA when you get it back on the road and you find it's got a bag of washers in a biscuit tin for a gearbox and you have to take it all apart again ....voice of experience ! I wondered why my friend had got it so cheap ... it cost more to fix the boxes than the rest of it cost him !

Loved my series 3 109" 'safari' station wagon, even I (who has no intersted in greasy pursuits) managed to keep it going with most of the work needed, sadly, time, pressure from SWMBO to get something a 'bit more modern', the need for a chassis replacement and her refusal to become a three vehicle household meant it had to be replaced.

The land Rover series 2 & 3 are very popular here, especially for game viewing vehicles...
Excellent 4 x 4 climbing abilities....landrover giraff.jpeg

Latest posts

Back