Any idea on what pollen this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
From 4 last year to 11 this year
Bees are bringing in loads of the stuff and going like the clappers

301b8b345819506499cd6b7e4839e4cd.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good old Himalayan balm ( bees usually dusted in the stuff like ghosts )
"heather" can be white if you have any early near by
"thistle" we have that out near us think thats what they are bringing in here

could be wrong someone will make it obviouse

That was the funny thing none had any on their backs else I would have thought it was.

wife tells me we have ghost bees coming in a little, look like they been through the flour bags
yet some are bringing in white but not all dusted like the others. 1/4 mile up the road forestry commission land has realy big patches of thistle and further on near the open grassland patches of knapweed

Yes the privet has been flowering a lot round here more so than I have seen in previous years but most of it is starting to go over now. It is not light silvery grey more very pale yellow to yellow white

Raspberry is like blackberry it tends to be like a light silvery grey

have you any flowering privet near you

Thinking about what is in flower now I've done a bit of digging and I think I know what the pollen is! I believe ithat is Hebe. It is flowering now and has done well this year... went on Google images and wrote in hebe pollen bee and pictures of bees on it have white pollen in their baskets. So I think that is mystery solved. Does Hebe yield much nectar?

Yes the privet has been flowering a lot round here more so than I have seen in previous years but most of it is starting to go over now. It is not light silvery grey more very pale yellow to yellow white

sorry true privet has a slight pale yellow tint or sometimes a slight lime green tint, it has been good on privet ours flowered relay well this year

2nd flower clover? Mine are all over it.

First flowers are too big for the shorter tongues of the honeys. If it has been cut once, the honeys can access it.

yep, cut the hedge about 6 week back and left it alone since, its a battle field of bumble bees and honey bee, quite funny
was rather nice yesterday and they hit it in numbers hedge was alive, wife told me id better do something in case someone walks past
" right " what im I going to do ? blow the dogs whistle then shout here girls fetch, whilst throwing a pollen patty down the garden

some of the rough at golf course in clover again masses of it but some how I dont think they would let me put a couple of colonies out there :)
Humm could tell them they are special Scottish good luck bees from St Andrews

Last edited:
yep, cut the hedge about 6 week back and left it alone since, its a battle field of bumble bees and honey bee, quite funny
was rather nice yesterday and they hit it in numbers hedge was alive, wife told me id better do something in case someone walks past
" right " what im I going to do ? blow the dogs whistle then shout here girls fetch, whilst throwing a pollen patty down the garden

some of the rough at golf course in clover again masses of it but some how I dont think they would let me put a couple of colonies out there :)
Humm could tell them they are special Scottish good luck bees from St Andrews

Literally miles of the stuff down the new 'misguided busway'

My bees are just across the road, sharing it with another member on here who has 5 hives pretty much on top of it. You can literally hear the clover humming if you stand still for a minute.

Attachments

• 13872639_10207051623465367_1913436123607339741_n.jpg
    13872639_10207051623465367_1913436123607339741_n.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 13872834_10207051623945379_5012281842392764531_n.jpg
    13872834_10207051623945379_5012281842392764531_n.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 22
awesome. one of the the bypass was covered clocked it in the van @ 4 miles and hey presto council mow the lot down, :hairpull:

awesome. one of the the bypass was covered clocked it in the van @ 4 miles and hey presto council mow the lot down, :hairpull:

They have cut it once. Appears they left the second. However I have seen them mowing the park near my house today (also noticed it in my hayfever receptors). Hope to god they don't mow all those miles of clover.............

Bees are bringing in loads of the stuff and going like the clappers

301b8b345819506499cd6b7e4839e4cd.jpg

Thanks

Mine too. I suspect Hebe, as there is a lot around me, and as you say it's in flower at the moment. A bit late for raspberry or blackberry even, as that has gone over in the last week or so.

Latest posts

Back