Any deals on foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbydaler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know of any deals on foundation? I need 50 brood and 50 super. The cost of expanding is spiralling, any saving on cost will make me feel better

Does anyone know of any deals on foundation? I need 50 brood and 50 super. The cost of expanding is spiralling, any saving on cost will make me feel better
Cost ought not be your only deciding factor and is likely to drag you into the dark arena of contaminated and diluted wax, which in the end will do none of us any favours, given that wax is recycled endlessly. Check out ITLD's post 9 on this thread today on the subject.

Expanding numbers in the absence of cash is a slow process: keep bees, sell honey, buy kit, keep more bees, sell more honey, buy more kit, repeat.

All very well to look to save a few pounds here and there on basics, but what of your yield at the other end? Maybe you aren't interested in honey, but suppose you produce 64lbs next summer, and suppose you want to off-load some of it, at what price would you sell it?

Cost ought not be your only deciding factor and is likely to drag you into the dark arena of contaminated and diluted wax, which in the end will do none of us any favours, given that wax is recycled endlessly. Check out ITLD's post 9 on this thread today on the subject.

Expanding numbers in the absence of cash is a slow process: keep bees, sell honey, buy kit, keep more bees, sell more honey, buy more kit, repeat.

All very well to look to save a few pounds here and there on basics, but what of your yield at the other end? Maybe you aren't interested in honey, but suppose you produce 64lbs next summer, and suppose you want to off-load some of it, at what price would you sell it?

I appreciate what you are saying, and I certainly wouldn’t want to buy dodgy wax. Just wondering where people find the best deals

Maisemore give you 10% off £100 25% off £200
I did the similar calc last night as I'm in the market for some
If you have 50 +50 you would get 10% which would make Maisemore and Thorne similar price. If you could go to 100+100 Maisemore would be cheaper as you get the extra 15% discount.

I need 50 brood and 50 super.
If you reckon that's what you need, reality is you'll need 100 of each, increasing savings as per Neil's post. Cannot over-emphasise the benefits of bulk buying; club together with other locals and buy a load?

Starter strips are a cheaper option, interleaved between drawn comb to ensure straightness.
There are various fiddly methods to make your own strips from sheets, so have a google and search also for Tom Bickerdike foundationless frames.

Is that your granny's old mangle?
Looks Pretty new to me!

We have had our own superior Cornish beeswax made up into foundation by a Mr K.... expensive but far better than the Chinese chloramphenicol contaminated stuff sold cheap by ..... ( not Nationas or Maisies or Thrones)...
you get what you pay for.

I need 50 brood and 50 super.
Another saving: don't bother with wired super foundation. You'll discover that unwired will do just fine.

One year I put on a box of SN with unwired cut comb (thin) foundation. At extraction time I'd forgotten to check and extracted the lot as normal: nothing blew, all OK, combs still in use.

Another saving: don't bother with wired super foundation. You'll discover that unwired will do just fine.

One year I put on a box of SN with unwired cut comb (thin) foundation. At extraction time I'd forgotten to check and extracted the lot as normal: nothing blew, all OK, combs still in use.
:iagree: in fact, on the whole I think I've had more wired frames blow than unwired!

:iagree:. I make my own B Boxes, roofs, floors, clearer boards, Crown Boards and Demeree Boards for a fraction of the market cost. This is where I save the pennies

Very special deal this spring - the bees will provide it for free!

If you are using un-wired foundation, are you doing anything to hold them in place other than pinching them in with the bar at the top? Once the bees start drawing them out they will be fixed in place.

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back