Any cheap sugar?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
just looking at the price of Sugar

mostly around 90p to 98p per Kilo but found my local lidl have their own brand cane sugar at 75p per kilo and tate and lyle fair trade at 76p

Any one found any cheaper sugar

i go to a shop its 59p a bag bit far for you to come just for some suger though, i think that some of the cash and carrys do it for about the same price, i did here that one of them would let beekeepers in if they was a member of the BBKA

Hi

Bookers still have 25kg bags at £14 or near enough.

Regards Ian

i have a bookers card so at least that might come in handy for me.
As for you they are easy to get if you run and can prove you run your own business.
If not do you know any that runs there own business that could get it for you.

Hi

As already said if you take along your bbka card, they will also let you join.

Regards Ian

I don't know about the bbka card , but with out it i had to show proof of business.
I took my tax form lol.

i did here that one of them would let beekeepers in if they was a member of the BBKA

You just have to keep bees,the BBKA jumped in on this one and said they arranged it when they had not,it was an individual beek that organised it. (Bookers)

In my area we have a 'poundland' doing sugar in 1.5kg bags for yes a £1! normal bags are 1kg also my local wilkinson store is doing two 1kg bags for £1.50. poudland works out cheaper I think. Just depends on how much quantity you are thinking of.

chris

Sugar is quite cheap at Costco, but not as cheap as at Booker. In my case, the Booker store is also nearer!

One thing for sure you can all avoid Sainsbury's. I checked the other day, 98p in kg bags, 91.8p/kg in 5kg bags - and they proclaimed a price match with Tesco.

I've got a few wraps of 15kg stashed from Bookers last year at about 50p/kg - hope the local ants don't learn how to climb my stairs.

i go to costcos. 56p kg, but dont buy the big 15kg bags as they are dearer than the 1 kg bags:confused:. costcos membership £25 per year, and the milk is £1.25 for 6 pints £1 cheaper that supermarkets( 1 6 pinter a week, £52 saved minus membership £27 yearly saving and cheap sugar) they stock tyte and lile cane sugar.:cheers2:

54p a kilo in our local Morrisons last week.Max per customer 3 bags - just had to go round and round til I'd got as much as I wanted

You just have to keep bees,the BBKA jumped in on this one and said they arranged it when they had not,it was an individual beek that organised it. (Bookers)

Peter McFadden of the Conwy Beekeeper's Association arranged it with the PR or Marketing department at Booker's HQ and the arrangement was good for all Beekeepers that belong to any BKA.

Booker's at Kingswinford were happy with this but still required a business name. A BKA association card would be good for the entitlement, but the system requires a name. Obviously Joe Bloggs if not running a business trades as "Joe Bloggs" or whatever you think up on the day.

Peter saved me a bob or two for sure.

If any Conwy beekeepers are out there - once again thank you. :)

typical bbka. Da iawn Peter Mcfadden

I get my sugar (and other goodies) from Bookers after it was mentioned late last year on this forum. Went along with my BBKA card which they knew nothing about but issued me a card and put me down as office based working (or something similar)
Cheers

Locally Poundstretcher have Tate and Lyle 1kg for 69p. I expect this would be the same all over. HB

Latest posts

Back