Any Aeroplane Buffs Here?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked with my husband. There are a number of Herky birds that are still in use. It is a C-130J. The C-130k went out of service in 2013. The J is not due to leave service until 2022

Definitely C130J, A400 has a high tail wing like the VC10 had. Think C130 to be phased out end of 22.

Quite amazing what flies overhead when out with the bees; on one site 3 spitfires flew overhead. They came over the trees at what felt was quite a low level.

I thought the last squadron was the one based at Lyneham. One of our council officers is an RAF child and he was the ome who told me they'd all ben phased out.
I'll have to be more attentive when the next one flies through the valley (they often do in the summer.

Have seen the parachute training flights in Oxfordshire too.

Most aircraft are conglomerate multinational today, cost and tech is so expensive. Days are gone when the UK was world leader in design and pushing the boundaries of the 50's & 60's. Boy did the country's many aviation companies before integration in to BAC produce some amazing and fantastic aircraft in the many 100's of designs and not just jet aircraft.

All my life I have lived on Gatwick's door step, so many days spent there and at Nutfield aerodrome in the early 70's, when it was a proper old style aerodrome with the Tiger club in residence along with many early types of single engine light aircraft. Most famously the ex Alex Henshaw MewGull racer AEXF was a resident, but by then wasn't a patch of it's real former self having been bodged up a bit following a crash. Now it is fully restored to original condition as part of the the Shuttleworth collection.

Last edited:
A part from the Brabazon, I don't think we made to many howlers. The Brab was a kin to Hughes's monstrous Spruce Goose.
The Comet though not a great success due to design error's and early crashes did lead the way to more efficient and safe design, the air accident guys at Farnborough's led the way. Another first I believe for the commercial jet age.

Clear skies down here at the moment.... only thing flying is the Cornwall Air Ambulance helicopter and a few native Cornish black bees!

Newquay and Exeter are closed... not much from Culdrose... have not seen a vapour trail in weeks!

Mild weather all week!

IMG_0984.JPG

Yeghes da

They fly that low in the valley where I am. It can be a bit disconcerting as they suddenly appear and are gone, often just above the property. Glad I bought a bungalow.

They fly that low in the valley where I am. It can be a bit disconcerting as they suddenly appear and are gone, often just above the property. Glad I bought a bungalow.
At least you don’t have a chimney to worry about ? 😀

Depending where I am in the valley, I have on times been able to look the pilot eye to eye - once I found myself looking down into the cockpit!

Had one fly overhead when I was working in Sennybridge, you could practically touch it. Worse still in and around that area were the Tornadoes. Wouldn't hear them coming, just a sudden, sickening roar above and then gone. I had this at Llandefalle, so loud it froze me but all the livestock carried on grazing and didn't bat an eye.
Having dinner up on the common, I watched them flying along the valley below me!!

Had one fly overhead when I was working in Sennybridge, you could practically touch it. Worse still in and around that area were the Tornadoes. Wouldn't hear them coming, just a sudden, sickening roar above and then gone. I had this at Llandefalle, so loud it froze me but all the livestock carried on grazing and didn't bat an eye.
Having dinner up on the common, I watched them flying along the valley below me!!
Yep....we get something similar here in twos and sickeningly loud from nowhere.
The Hercules are quiet in comparison

Latest posts

Back