Ants in the Hive.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi, Just put a feeder in the hive and i've noticed quite a few ants, will this create a problem? also, would thunder flies, green fly cause any problems?

Hi, Just put a feeder in the hive and i've noticed quite a few ants, will this create a problem? also, would thunder flies, green fly cause any problems?

Had the same problem with ants and it was becoming worse e.g. ants floating in the feeder etc. Took the feeder off and disposed of the hundred or so ants. Poured boiling water on the ant nest near the hive and placed some car grease at the base of the hive stand legs (Vaseline doesn't appear to work in high temperatures). Anyway, problem sorted.

BL

ant in hive

if you get some cinnamon sticks by your feeder it will stop the ants:)

Had the same problem with ants and it was becoming worse e.g. ants floating in the feeder etc. Took the feeder off and disposed of the hundred or so ants. Poured boiling water on the ant nest near the hive and placed some car grease at the base of the hive stand legs (Vaseline doesn't appear to work in high temperatures). Anyway, problem sorted.

BL

Would that stop earwigs climbing up too?

Nothing - the odd earwig is not a problem for me and I've never seen one inside the hive - just in
the roof.

Bloody wasps are a pain at the moment - I'm going to try rat glue.

BL

Grease works a treat, I even had a few slugs trying to get in :rofl:

Latest posts

Back