Ants in the feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bebop

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone out there, I am a new member and new 'beekeeper'. Live in Ingham Lincoln and as usual intros also bring questions. I have started out with a cast caught 2 weeks ago, recent inspection showed good progress. I have been feeding it 1-1 and I have noticed quite a few ants in the feeder tray. Are they harmless or should I try to get rid of them?

Hello bebop, and welcome to this forum

I get the same problem with ants and just ignore it.....the bees don't seem bothered either.

Richard

I try and squish them - don't use any kind of chemical killer as it might kill the bees as well.

If there is a flow on, removing the feeder is likely best. No feeder, no ants. They are relatively harmless, more of a nuisance.

When she eventually (shortly, hopefully) starts laying they need as many eggs as they can service. Three weeks later your colony will get some new bees to help out the current housebees. The more egg laying space (not filled with sugar syrup) the better - as long as the stores increase steadily (monitor it) they should not need feeding again.

Regards, RAB

WELCOME BE BOP IF YOU HAVE A HIVE STAND YOU COULD TRY USING GREASE BANDS ( the ones used on apple trees) TIED AROUND THE LEGS THE ANTS TEND NOT TO WALK OVER THEM

i ignore them unless really bad but one very bad caseof red ants ( ie they bit ME)

so i got four large catering size empty baked bees tins and put the stand legs in the tins and filled 1/2" of cooking oil.....lots of slimy slugs eating the veg oil but no ants

..baked bees? That's so cruel. I'm surprised at you, MM...
;)

Thanks very much everyone, I think I can just about carry all the recommendations out, except I would have to think about the baked bean tins! (Don't like slugs)
I hope to be carrying out a comprehensive inspection this weekend and get a better idea of what progress has been made since they arrived.

bebop

Latest posts

Back