Ants in Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Inspected and everything all looking ok... However I notice a few ants crawling around inside on walls of bb, and on inspection board under OMF...I didnt see them on comb.

The colony is still rather weak from the cold months, but getting stronger by the day.

Are ants a problem or will the bees sort them out.. Just wondering if the 1:1 Syrup is attracting them ? Concerned they might be after brood / eggs

I have now removed inspection board.

I found ants in the syrup last year, but I think also that ants carry off varroa mites on the varroa tray, so they are probably attracted to more than just the syrup.
I leave them - they go of their own accord.

Inspected and everything all looking ok... However I notice a few ants crawling around inside on walls of bb, and on inspection board under OMF...I didnt see them on comb...
Are ants a problem or will the bees sort them out.. Just wondering if the 1:1 Syrup is attracting them ? Concerned they might be after brood / eggs.
I have hives where ants get under the roof. They will feed on syrup, spilt or in feeders. They don't appear to bother the bees in the hive itself but they will find small gaps faster than you can seal them. Stealing varroa from the tray will distort any counts you try. If the numbers increase to where they look a problem, a band of vaseline around the stand legs can put them off, it won't stop them completely but fairly harmless.

Duplicate posting

Last edited:
They wont really mess with the bees, or vise-versa, but I don't really like seeing them everywhere (though they ARE great for cleaning out old frames, dead outs, etc)
If you really want them gone, try cinnamon. Just pour some around the inner cover hole, or wherever they're getting in; they will not cross it.

They wont really mess with the bees, or vise-versa, but I don't really like seeing them everywhere (though they ARE great for cleaning out old frames, dead outs, etc)
If you really want them gone, try cinnamon. Just pour some around the inner cover hole, or wherever they're getting in; they will not cross it.

Do you deep-fry them after adding the cinnamon...
:D

Latest posts

Back