antlew

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antlew

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
two of my colonies have become very aggressive when i go into them. any pacifying suggestions--apart from re-queening?

A few tips that worked for me.

Smoke them a reasonable amount and give the smoke 4 mins to take effect.

Inspect nice and slow, lift out frames carefully

Lay the dummy board over the frames and move it up as you need to get to the next frame once over half way move to the other side.

If one hive is worse than the other do that one first.

If you have the leather gauntlet type of gloves ditch them for washing up gloves, two layers if it makes you feel confident or washing up gloves with a surgical disposable
glove over the top.

Try to relax and talk to the bees

Just to add I don’t have any experience with Oilseed Rape but I understand when its finished the bees can get grumpy. I don’t know if you have any close to you but it may be a factor.

Last edited:
If you have the leather gauntlet type of gloves ditch them for washing up gloves, two layers if it makes you feel confident or washing up gloves with a surgical disposable glove over the top. QUOTE]

Excellent advice - leather gauntlets can never be cleaned as well as synthetics and in any case bees can sting through them I found. Sainburys washing up gloves are thick enough to stop penetration of any stings, clean easily with washing soda and a drop of squeezy yet are not so thick all sensitity is lost, have a soft lining and last for years. £8 or so. Might have to turn them inside out from time to time to wash so as to remove nasty old sweat pong.

Put a scarecrow next to them with a bit of flappy stuf near the head.
The bees go for it all the time and then get fed up with no reaction. Then when you go in you they don't attack you?
Heard of it , never tried it.

Latest posts

Back