another theft in Derbyshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Over Saturday night one hive from a secluded and private site.
We are now looking into an association purchase of Smart Water.
Everyone is getting very anxious locally. The police have been involved and seem to be genuinely trying to help which is great.

god im in Derby, thats two lots in as many weeks. i must try pete's idea i find the shotgun is beter though

Over Saturday night one hive from a secluded and private site.
We are now looking into an association purchase of Smart Water.
Everyone is getting very anxious locally. The police have been involved and seem to be genuinely trying to help which is great.

HB,

How interesting you mention Smartwater..i have used Smartwater as part of a trial between myself and the company and i can conclude it works fine. It does not affect the bees as its water based and the unique DNA is stored on their database, shame the BBKA cannot seem to support the idea. I got a nil response from them. However, would be easy to link the two databases and let the BBKA hold the unique DNA no. against the BBKA member number.
Should the hives be stolen and located by a bee inspector (using a UV lamp) the hives could be returned to the rightful owner..might not find the thief.
But as mentioned before here there are those who have mentioned the cost and it expensive. But in my experience no criminal likes Smartwater because it cannot be erased and is proven in Court. Good luck if you association buys some. All my frames and hives are marked so if they are stolen at least I can say they belong to me, should they be found..

Thanks Gandalfwhitewizard, It is very helpful that you have found Smart Water to be safe for the bees as some members had raised that question. We have found a source that works out at £60 a year - not so bad considering the cost of a hive.
If we can do a deal even better.

BBKA number or post code or phone number it is immaterial. So long as there is a direct link.

PH

Its sad to hear that hives are being stolen and I think the problem may get worse over the next few years as the popularity increases and the scum sucking slime crawls out of the cracks.
I have just located a site 10 mins from work and room for at least 3 hives in a very urban situation the forage area takes in part of Heathrow Airport so its quite industrial to and exposed.
As a a small security defense I am going to make stands and bury the legs into the ground that along with a ratchet strap will hopefully prevent vandalism pushing the hive over.
I also I intend to screw the floors to the stand this will hopefully make it difficult for people to carry the hives away without exposing the bees.
The two measures are not going to stop the most persistent *~#¬*# and it will make my life that bit more inconvenient.

Its even more worrying when you hear they find secluded and private sites, someone somewhere must have told them that location !!.

A Large number of original thefts were from sites in view of either used roads or public right of way.

:mad:

What a lot don't comprehend is that there are quite a lot of people that wander around at night, and other times of the day, simply looking for a quick earner. These low-life will take anything. There is good communications between the separate groups, these days, so reports of 'one good earner' in one part of the country soon spreads as an easy way to earn just a small amount with little chance of being apprehended. Often, the police do not want to go onto some of the sites (from where this sort of thing is organised?) to investigate petty crime, as the cost is not worth it.

This is in addition to the other opportunists who may be total freelancers.

Regards, RAB

HB,

...shame the BBKA cannot seem to support the idea. I got a nil response from them. However, would be easy to link the two databases and let the BBKA hold the unique DNA no. against the BBKA member number.

NO NO NO NO NO

Please don't suggest the BBKA should do ANY MORE fiddling in areas it knows bugger all about (which are vast and expanding day by day). Having such a scheme administered by them would be one more step on the road to compulsory registration, via THEM, to suit their own empire building purposes and fund their personal private bee club at the expense of the masses.

I really, really struggled to justify renewing my association membership that funds the BBKA this year, their attitude to FERA and their mention of 'confidential agreements with influential parties in government / government agencies / elsewhere' that justifies their decision to withdraw makes my skin really crawl.

Sticking two fingers up at the membership on the pesticide issue AGAIN, and in particular some other issues that have come to my attention in the past few weeks that have apparently gone on behind the scenes leading up to the ADM show what a broken, failing and unconstitutional organisation they really are. (I'd like to reveal what those issues are but I know that in so doing it would seriously compromise my source)

I really do hope that the newly elected executive members, or at least some of them, do something to put the house in order, and despite the 'three year rule' the pesticide dirty cash issue is raised AGAIN by member associations next year under the 25% rule.

P.S. I do support compulsory registration on Beebase in order to enact effective disease standstill areas via FERA, even though it does smack of a Big Brother organisation.

Sounds like they should work for the government lol

No No No indeed,
The RSGB took over the examination of potential Radio hams C&G pulled out, standards were diluted , license fees scrapped the whole of the international frequency range, thrown to the wolves. How long before said frequencies are sold to the highest bidder?
Please spare us from such a fiasco !!

John Wilkinson

What a lot don't comprehend is that there are quite a lot of people that wander around at night

Regards, RAB

This is something I have been told more and more over the last 18 months by farmers,there seems to be a whole new lowlife sprung up that target farms/land at night for everything from farm equipment/hunting to metal detecting of historic sites.

One of my sites has now installed security cameras and gates that are locked every evening.

some farmers round here have had the gates and camera's stolen!!

It's called or they are called "night hawks" who plunder land with metal detectors amongst other nefarious activities. Some forces are dealing with the problems i know Kent Police are but I'm not sure about others.

Anyone tried their Neighbourhood Watch for Smart water. Some are able to offer it at discount. I am just waiting to get some delivered and then I'll be getting daubing. HB

This smart water is ok but only good after the event it may help if you advertise the fact that it has being treated with smart water or perhaps as Hivemaker said a few months back write on the hive " infected with AFB "

smart water

Hi
If you go to your local police station and talk to the crime prevention officer and tell him you want to mark your valubles with any luck he will give you some smart water but you have to register it before you use it hope this helps
Will

OK let’s look at this a little closer.
The low life SCUM that’s being talked about on the forums has to be BEEKEEPERS your so called friends, the nice guy from the association you invited to look at your hives, the guy that came to advise and help you re-queen,
Trust me not anyone especially a beekeeper.

One of my sites has now installed security cameras and gates that are locked every evening.

One farmer I know fairly well has had problems and now has fortress farmhouse with security cameras and all easy field/road access blocked off bar one big gate with a security pin.

Of course, being a sensible farmer he's given the gate a phone number so you can give it a ring to get in!!!

Its not just bees that are being stolen throughout the country but also poultry as well. Probably the same lot who used to steal the lead off the Church Roof, dig up the newly planted trees and were expert in dodgy tarmac. (oh, the good old days of being a Rural WPC).

Wonder how many bees you could fit in a caravan ?

there are no B's in "a caravan" :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

Latest posts

Back