Another swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmojos

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello,
We started keeping bees this year, we had a swarm in May and have just had another swarm today and much bigger than the original swarm about 3 times the amount of bees - unfortunately they are in a tree about 40ft up!! No chance of getting them, is there any way we can 'coax' them to a new hive that we had already set up before they scoot??

Attachments

• Bee swarm.jpg
    Bee swarm.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 37
Hello,
We started keeping bees this year, we had a swarm in May and have just had another swarm today and much bigger than the original swarm about 3 times the amount of bees - unfortunately they are in a tree about 40ft up!! No chance of getting them, is there any way we can 'coax' them to a new hive that we had already set up before they scoot??

Attachments

• Bee swarm 2.jpg
    Bee swarm 2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 32
A couple of old brood frames (only) and a few spots of lemongrass oil.
If you can get them interested in the hive they will assess the capacity of the box, so don’t fill it with frames until they move in
Good luck - it looks a good size

Looks like a large swarm. How far away from your new hive is it?

Earlier this year I managed to catch a swarm that was too high to reach. I set up a couple of bait hives with one frame of old comb and a little lemon grass oil. It took three days before they moved in to one of them.

Hello,
Two possible ways, if you can get hold of the longest pole you can, for example a window cleaners extension pole then tie an old brood frame to it and get it as close as you can to the cluster and leave it there. The other way you bang tins together loudly to simulate thunder. They fly down when they here it, maybe onto your brood frame. I caught a swarm 35ft up connecting 4x 8ft long flag poles with a basket on top. What county are you?

Two possible ways, if you can get hold of the longest pole you can, for example a window cleaners extension pole then tie an old brood frame to it and get it as close as you can to the cluster and leave it there. The other way you bang tins together loudly to simulate thunder. They fly down when they here it, maybe onto your brood frame. I caught a swarm 35ft up connecting 4x 8ft long flag poles with a basket on top. What county are you?

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestion - I'm sure it is something we can try next time.
The little darlings swarmed Saturday afternoon. I tried the brood frame in the new hive with lemongrass oil but it didn't work - in fact - I received my first attack when I removed the empty frame and got around 5 stings - even in a bee suit!! They really didn't like me disturbing the hive. I will live and learn :rolleyes:

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestion - I'm sure it is something we can try next time.
The little darlings swarmed Saturday afternoon. I tried the brood frame in the new hive with lemongrass oil but it didn't work - in fact - I received my first attack when I removed the empty frame and got around 5 stings - even in a bee suit!! They really didn't like me disturbing the hive. I will live and learn :rolleyes:
Oh by the way we are in Wilts

Nice swarm but they should be gone by now if you didn't manage to catch them.

Just for general chat:-

A swarm usually congregates not far from the hive they have left. So usually it's from your own hive or somewhere very close.
(Skep beekeeping of old depended on this trait.)

Prior to swarming, scout bees would have been searching for a new suitable home. While in the swarm cluster, these scout bees and others, will fly off examining what is on offer and like voting, they will chose one, and then they are all off. A beautiful sight should you see this.

So if your bait hive was only put in place when you saw them, it's unlikely to catch them.

Only thing I could suggest and it's too late now, would be to gently hose them if possible (weather is warm) to break them up and hope they reassemble in a more convenient location.

Best to have small trees close to the hives in your apiary. Apple trees would be a good choice.

No swarm is worth an injury. Besides, it's nice to let the odd one get back to nature.

Fred.

<A couple of old brood frames (only) and a few spots of lemongrass oil.>

Generally I agree but the guys I mentor, have caught a lot of swarms this year and I encourage them to place two top bars in the middle (no foundation, or other parts of the frame.) With one normal old frame to one edge.

Reason is that if and when a scout bees enters, the cavity should look a lot bigger.

Seems to work but it causes a small difficulty. Swarms draw out natural comb very very quickly. They will rapidly draw down from these two top bars and if you are not quick enough there will be eggs which you won't want to waste. If so, then fit these into a foundation-less frame with some large elastic bands. gradually move these frames to one side as they settle in. You'll figure it out at the time.

Regarding lemon grass, I don't bother but I've heard too much can put them off. A tiny dab seems to be best. Like perfume, it should whisper and not shout.

Fred.

<A couple of old brood frames (only) and a few spots of lemongrass oil.>

Generally I agree but the guys I mentor, have caught a lot of swarms this year and I encourage them to place two top bars in the middle (no foundation, or other parts of the frame.) With one normal old frame to one edge.

Reason is that if and when a scout bees enters, the cavity should look a lot bigger.

Seems to work but it causes a small difficulty. Swarms draw out natural comb very very quickly. They will rapidly draw down from these two top bars and if you are not quick enough there will be eggs which you won't want to waste. If so, then fit these into a foundation-less frame with some large elastic bands. gradually move these frames to one side as they settle in. You'll figure it out at the time.

Regarding lemon grass, I don't bother but I've heard too much can put them off. A tiny dab seems to be best. Like perfume, it should whisper and not shout.

Fred.
(A swarm usually congregates not far from the hive they have left. So usually it's from your own hive or somewhere very close.)
My observations are that the primary swarm will not travel no more than 30 metres from the hive on there first fliet..
Mine have travelled less than this and I've planted small tree's within this perimeter.. Just to add that where swarms have landed, there's a good chance that other swarms will congregate at the same location, because of the pheromones from the previous queen /swarm.
The above only really lasts for that season as over time the scent gets washed away or fades

Just to add I've had one swarm in five years come up the valley and land where one of mine had a few weeks before, this was a primary swarm and they were quite defensive and needed feeding straight away probably because they had moved from one location to another and used alot of there honey recerves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back