Another swarm for me

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Came home yesterday to an answer phone message saying " I have a swarm of bees in my garden can you come and get them please"

I asked the usual questions and the fella said oh they are definately honey bees as there are two wild colonies in the church roof near the bottom of our garden.
Well they were at head hight on a wisteria climbing over some sort of wooden frame.
churchswarm.jpg

Here they are nearly all in

churchswarm1.jpg

They have been very busy today.

You cant call THAT a proper swarm collection, its almost as if they had boxed themselves for you :D

That one doesnt count, can we strike that off of the list please :D

I did have to brush them into the box first lol I just strapped the nuc on top while I went home to have me tea.

The good thing is the chap said he would give me a ring when they swarm again lol

The good thing is the chap said he would give me a ring when they swarm again lol

How many for the year is that Veg?

Almost double figures?

bee-smillie

I am up to 9 but also gave two swarms to some friends.

Nice, who trained all the beeks in your area?
Seems to be a swarm hot spot !!

bee-smillie

Cor, what a doddle!

I had to climb a ladder up some scaffolding and get into the roof space of a 15th C building the other day!!!

Soon, I'm off to a derelict building to collect another from a roofspace!
If only they were as easy as yours!!:sifone:

I heard yesterday that there is one beek who has got himself in with Wiltshire Council this year and has collected over 200 swarms in Wiltshire....and he's selling them on as nucs at the going rate. $$$$$$$£££££££

Apparently the local associations aren't very pleased as there are very few swarms for them and new beekeepers......how true this is I don't know, but there must be something behind it !

I've collected 3 swarms, my neighbour 5 (I think) which makes it a rather more swarmy season so far than average.

regards

S

I heard yesterday that there is one beek who has got himself in with Wiltshire Council this year and has collected over 200 swarms in Wiltshire....and he's selling them on as nucs at the going rate. $$$$$$$£££££££

Apparently the local associations aren't very pleased as there are very few swarms for them and new beekeepers......how true this is I don't know, but there must be something behind it !

I've collected 3 swarms, my neighbour 5 (I think) which makes it a rather more swarmy season so far than average.

regards

S

Sounds like a bit of a tall story to me. I'm registered with three local councils around here - and the local police - and I've only had 3 or 4 call outs from those sources.....usually when their own 'pesties' get there and decide that they don't want to nuke a perfectly healthy honey bee swarm.

(and to save any doubt the few nucs and full colonies that I sell are all home-grown!!!)

Latest posts

Back