another silly question, maybe...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Right then, just so that people know where I'm coming from, I dont have any bee's yet so have no first hand knowlege other than what I have read.

I've just read something along the lines of

'I currently have a single hive and intend to buy another 2 or 3 colonies'

why buy them?

why not

a. raise them yourself?
b. get yourself on the swarm list and collect a swarm should the opertunity arrise?

granted there may be problems with each of these options if for example you dont like the temperment of the bee's all you have to do is requeen, you dont have to buy the whole lot. However a swarm bringing disease to the apiary is an undesirable problem that could potentially bugger up everything.

It seems to me that a lot of people reach for the cheque book when they could actually do things for little or no cost to themselves.

Is my perception correct or am I way off the mark, is increasing the number of hives difficult for the novice is losing the honey crop for the year to great a price to pay or is it just plain easier to buy in a nuc?

please discuss :mixed-smiley-005:

Right then, just so that people know where I'm coming from, I dont have any bee's yet so have no first hand knowlege other than what I have read.

I've just read something along the lines of

'I currently have a single hive and intend to buy another 2 or 3 colonies'

why buy them?

why not

a. raise them yourself?
b. get yourself on the swarm list and collect a swarm should the opertunity arrise?

exactly.

Hi Taff

I think you are spot on there. Gland you have come to this conlusion before getting your bees.

Well done you.

I fully understand why someone in my position would be looking at buying a nuc as opposed to rehoming a swarm, the potential pitfalls of collecting and agressive swarm could be enough to put anyone off, but at a time where demand seems to be massively outstripping supply is there a reason why people with stock already are buying rather than breeding?

I fully understand why someone in my position would be looking at buying a nuc as opposed to rehoming a swarm, the potential pitfalls of collecting and agressive swarm could be enough to put anyone off, but at a time where demand seems to be massively outstripping supply is there a reason why people with stock already are buying rather than breeding?

I guess that it is easier- there is no effort involved in buying. It is a way of getting new genetic material- but an expensive way, and is guaranteed- no matter what state your existing colonies are in, by buying in, you definitely have the new colonies. This would not be so if you were splitting a colony and it turned out to be very week in the spring. In fairness, some people have a cleaner, or somebody to iron their shirts. Neither are a difficult job, some would rather pay not to do the tasks. To each, his own as they say.

The only other point is that it can be frustrating waiting for a swarm- for instance last year they were few and far between.

Hi taff..
You mentioned;
is there a reason why people with stock already are buying rather than breeding?

One easy answer and that is - its easy to pay for a queen which is delivered to you than to raise your own queens.

Some folk think it a difficult task raising queens, but its not. OK we all have mishaps now and again but there is time to try again and eventually we become proficient in rearing queens.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back