Another question on feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the light of the recent starvation alert I am thinking of feeding fondant to some of my hives.However I had planned to treat all hives with oxalic acid in December using a vaporiser . Can I do this while there is fondant in the hive or must I remove it before the application?

Not too sure about vaporising OA when the bees may be clustered..... more usual to vape before feeding at the end of the season.
Possibly vape in the Spring to wake them up!!
Would be interested in others findings on this??

Chons da

Not too sure about vaporising OA when the bees may be clustered..... more usual to vape before feeding at the end of the season.
Possibly vape in the Spring to wake them up!!
Would be interested in others findings on this??

Chons da
Vaping in December shouldn't be a problem. Depends where you live. Round here winter solstice can often be low teens.
Spring may well be too late, depending on when @Merryhill last treated, esp as we've had a mild autumn

No problem with doing it midwinter, but unwise to do it in a really cold snap, you want them reasonably active for them all to get covered so, a bit like trickling, a loose cluster is fine
:iagree: 8c to 12c temps...
15c and colonys can raise the temp to 35 c to rear brood.

Back