Another pleasant afternoon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I bumbled up to the bees with the intent of checking the nucs.

To my pleasure two are now laying so that is progress.

I then checked some of my colonies and some what to my annoyance one which is very good tempered announced they were in swarm mode. No sign of the marked clipped queen and very advanced cells with hardened tips.

So. I took off three nucs and left them with an open cell. Further I had a split I made a few days ago and they had produced one open cell. I scrubbed it, made up another nuc and gave it a cell from the nice colony. I then added the other 6 frames of brood to a newly mated queen in (convieniently) a brood box so they should now romp away. United via paper BTW.

I left feeling very pleased as there are now 14 nucs in hand, 11 colonies in various stages of swarming, and two supers of OSR comb honey to take off. Enough for the breakfast table for some weeks.

Whilst I would be happier with some more honey by the time the colonies are back up to speed there is still plenty of time to get the honey and possibly Heather too if I get that site...

PH

PH,you are considering Heather as well this year,I hope you do as I am sure you can give oodles of advice and support to members thinking of also giving it a go.

I am seriously considering heather.

I am though seriously shy of time to find one. I eyed up the moors above Chatsworth but thought hmm people pressure.... not good.

Anybody who knows of potential sites with in two hours of Derby please PM.

PH

I am seriously considering heather.

I am though seriously shy of time to find one. I eyed up the moors above Chatsworth but thought hmm people pressure.... not good.

Anybody who knows of potential sites with in two hours of Derby please PM.

PH

Sure. The Bickerton hills right next to my gaff. About 1hr 15mins from you. Postcode SY14.

You'll need to speak with the National Trust though as they own the lot.

Fortunately, I know the warden there who's quite a nice bloke.

Latest posts

Back