Another passion of mine

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming (hoping) your access to site was from the top? Otherwise it's crampons, ropes and a couple of Sherpas.
Cracking job, fair play. You'd be aching after just standing there all day never mind all that hard labour. Hats off.
Yes Steve we had to use the existing steps to carry all the materials down etc all soil was used on site none was removed not even a spoonful.
There is access to the bottom of the garden and I was going to take the digger but it would of been to dangerous really, so opted to dig it all by hand, tons and tons of soil got moved.

We used three and a half pallets of post crete (75 bags a pallet)
The total sleepers was just under 400.

We had people walking past saying we needed harnesses and ropes etc.

It's a relief to finish that's for sure.. On to the next now.
15 packs of Indian stone 19 square metres each pack+ 25 tons of facing stone. Not sure how many 4 inch blocks without looking at the contract/schedule.
I might miss this one out so I can concentrate on designing and quotes.
All depends on time.
Few I think that deserves a cider or two.
I can get on with other things now. ;)

Are you ever tempted to drill loads of holes in discrete out of the way places for solitary bees and others to nest in them?

Are you ever tempted to drill loads of holes in discrete out of the way places for solitary bees and others to nest in them?
The only thing I've done is weep holes u can't see them as they have been put in where the pressure is at its worst.( mainly at the bottom.

Some of the brick/ stone walls we've built we've used air bricks.

This project will have when planted and seeded lots of wildflowers.
I try and incorporate as many bee friendly Flora as possible.
My planting plans have changed loads since I've been a beekeeper.
You have given me something to think about for the future.

I was hoping as there will be insects attracted to the Flora this would hopefully encourage bees to make there own nests..

The only thing I've done is weep holes u can't see them as they have been put in where the pressure is at its worst.( mainly at the bottom.

Some of the brick/ stone walls we've built we've used air bricks.

This project will have when planted and seeded lots of wildflowers.
I try and incorporate as many bee friendly Flora as possible.
My planting plans have changed loads since I've been a beekeeper.
You have given me something to think about for the future.

I was hoping as there will be insects attracted to the Flora this would hopefully encourage bees to make there own nests..

Thanks, you could always push it as a selling point, "Helping nature without effort" sort of thing? Although I guess you'd also need to be careful where you drill?

Thanks, you could always push it as a selling point, "Helping nature without effort" sort of thing? Although I guess you'd also need to be careful where you drill?
I agree.. Most of our clients are a bit unaware of where solitary bees nest.
When I talk about my reasons for some of the plants I would be using they are very happy, most find out I'm a beekeeper as I can't help telling people.

You given me an idea I'm designing another natural pool with waterfall I'm going to incorporate a nest site for solitary bees.
The seating area is being made of a fallen down Oak tree and this is having cords of oak stood on end as a curtain wall.
Any links or advice as to the best sized holes to drill for solitary bees?

I agree.. Most of our clients are a bit unaware of where solitary bees nest.
When I talk about my reasons for some of the plants I would be using they are very happy, most find out I'm a beekeeper as I can't help telling people.

You given me an idea I'm designing another natural pool with waterfall I'm going to incorporate a nest site for solitary bees.
The seating area is being made of a fallen down Oak tree and this is having cords of oak stood on end as a curtain wall.
Any links or advice as to the best sized holes to drill for solitary bees?

Here's my go to site for solitaries not too much info on actual sizes but a picture at the top of the page of bamboo sticks and a video at the end of various size holes. Guide to Solitary Bees in Britain | The Wildlife Trusts

Then there's a couple of guides here;

How to make a bee hotel

and here;

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/nine-bee-hotel-ideas/
with guides on sizes and some design ideas as well.

Some top notch work there!
Well done....
Good looking soil in those beds as well,,, compost your own dressing ? (Re : Pics of sandstone look retainer wall and moon/mars pic)

Some top notch work there!
Well done....
Good looking soil in those beds as well,,, compost your own dressing ?
No Michael just good old Welsh border soil.
The soil type would be classed as loamy clay.
We don't want it to rich as the Planters are having wild flower seeds, shrubs, perennials, alpines, and more.

Which, over the centuries we have enriched with plenty of English blood 😁

If enrich is the right word..........aided
I wish I’d seen your photos a few months ago. Someone is making some raised beds for when I need to garden using a zimmer or similar “I’ll just level the area” started 4 weeks ago and he’s using a digger

I wish I’d seen your photos a few months ago. Someone is making some raised beds for when I need to garden using a zimmer or similar “I’ll just level the area” started 4 weeks ago and he’s using a digger
Can I have some more information zimmer?

Latest posts

Back