Another new nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I collected a 5 frame nuc last Thursday,placed the box at the hive site overnight and hived the bees the following day. I was so excited and nervous at the same time so simply transferred the frames quickly into the middle of the hive. I should have paid more attention but I did see lots of capped brood some stores and the queen. I could kick myself. I should have checked the queen was laying. The weather turned a little colder to maybe 12/13 degrees so I decided to go in quickly on Sunday to remove all the foundation frames bar two, one each side. I slid the whole lot over to the front of the hive and put in three dummy boards at the back. None of the foundation had been drawn. There is a rapid feeder on but little, if any has been taken. The weather has improved and they were out in large numbers yesterday. (wonderful watching them isn't it?)
It's raining today but the forecast is great from tomorrow.
Should I look in tomorrow? if they are still not drawing the foundation and there are stores only on the outer frames should I put the foundation between the store frames and the brood?
Should I leave well alone and inspect on Friday when it's due?

The problem with rapid feeders is that the bees will not often know it is there, syrup has no odour and doesn't attract them, so dribble a little down from the top of the feeder cone onto the bees and combs below, they will soon find it (not too much you dont want to drown them or have syrup all over the place to encourage robbing)

Once the weather starts warming up a bit as its gong to later this week they'll soon start pulling out the foundation

Thanks Roy. I did the dribbling bit and there were a few bees in the feeder so they must have found it. I'll see what the good weather brings, check the feeder tonight and have a proper look on Friday as planned.

I notice you temp today was under 14c.
A little cold for wax making,you should fair better as the week goes on.

The problem with rapid feeders is that the bees will not often know it is there, syrup has no odour and doesn't attract them, )

add one drop of lemon grass essential oil to each 2lts of 1:1 syrup...they will find the syrup within minutes.....and leave them alone for about seven days, i know it difficult, we all wanted to look at our first bees, but less is more when it comes to inspection....busy your self with a daily varroa count over the seven days, photo them, fill up the feeder, look at the outside, cut the grass around the hive.. but dont lift the crown board for seven days...i had beginers look every day and the bees just left, leaving all the brood

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back