Another lost colony story

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not starvation nor, as far as I can see, varoosis - no DFW visible, nor mites on bees. Just a thick layer of dead bees on the floor. Almost none on the frames. Hmmmm...

IMG_20210309_132318.jpg
So here are the photos - on a quick look through the BB, no brood, one empty supersedure cell, plenty stores...

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_132307.jpg
    IMG_20210309_132307.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210309_132312.jpg
    IMG_20210309_132312.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 110
Oh my goodness what a sad sight:cry:

In my second year so I wouldn't know but the experts here will have the answers. Interested to hear what they say. Thank you for the photos however sad it helps new beekeepers like myself learn .

Thanks - I'll pop back there later in the week to retrieve the kit and photograph the brood frames. Not sure what to do with thousands of dead bees, mind you....

Large scraps of wax in the second (out of focus) photo usually indicates mouse-work; as there's a mouseguard on, did the scraps fall when you dismantled combs?

What are those reddish blobs on several bees? Propolis? Dead phoretic varroa? (or do they fall off?)

Large scraps of wax in the second (out of focus) photo usually indicates mouse-work; as there's a mouseguard on, did the scraps fall when you dismantled combs?

What are those reddish blobs on several bees? Propolis? Dead phoretic varroa? (or do they fall off?)
Yes, the wax probably fell as I took frames out - there was a lot of burr comb. No idea what the red stuff is - it looked like some sort of exuded stuff.

When one gets a carpet like that, starvation is the first likely cause. Good clear pics of the brood frames and cells are needed.
No, I don't think so. Not only did they have plenty of stores and fondant, which a month ago they were consuming, there are no heads in cells - in fact almost no bees on the frames at all.

On the LA whatsup group a couple of beeks have posted similar pics and were perplexed as to why they died. Two of us straight away said starvation as the adjacent frames were 90% bare of stores and varroa poop around the edges of a lot of cells, yet they still questioned as to why they died and started to hypothesise other theories as to why. I was going to go further but I chose discretion as I didn't want to be banned from the chat group, some people can't take the truth or willing to accept they may have made a mistake.

Last edited:
No, I don't think so. Not only did they have plenty of stores and fondant, which a month ago they were consuming, there are no heads in cells - in fact almost no bees on the frames at all.

I'm not saying it is but likely, one will have to look elsewhere maybe.

Even a failed Q wouldn't mean a whole colony dying like that, laying workers and drone brood would occur, may well be present.
Autumn treatment what was used ?

Last edited:
On the LA whatsup group a couple of beeks have posted similar pics and were perplexed as to why they died. Two of us straight away said starvation as the adjacent frames were 90% bare of stores and varroa poop around the edges of a lot of cells, yet they still questioned as to why they died and started to hypothesise other theories as to why. I was going to go further but I chose discretion as I didn't want to be banned form the chat group, some people can't take the truth or willing to accept they may have made a mistake.
There’s starvation and starvation. One where a big colony completely runs out of food and one where there is food in the hive but the colony is too small to reach it. The second scenario is not starvation but usually varroa

Latest posts

Back