Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
According to the bbka news that dropped thru the door today a larger Hornet specie has been found in France on at least two occasions. Vespa orientalis Linneus yet another invasive dedicated bee killer for the French and maybe us to have to look out for in future years.
Hopefully like V.v they would have difficulty in establishing in the more northern areas.
As if our bees haven't got enough on their plate to deal with from pests and disease.

The bee in this pick is certainly dicing with death.
1637452976797.png

Last edited:

Austin 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
That is a scary looking beast! I’ll let you know if I see one.
Austin (in Normandy)

Pembroke 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
None
Wikipedia suggests it's range already includes Southern Europe including the 'foot' of Italy. So Marseilles isn't too much of a stretch:

here's the full article: Oriental hornet - Wikipedia

The slightly more worrying location is Apiarisnt's article shows one dot a lot farther north in Southern Germany. Oh and just to make it harder to find, this type generally lives in underground nests.

Amari 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
According to the bbka news that dropped thru the door today a larger Hornet specie has been found in France on at least two occasions. Vespa orientalis Linneus yet another invasive dedicated bee killer for the French and maybe us to have to look out for in future years.
Hopefully like V.v they would have difficulty in establishing in the more northern areas.
As if our bees haven't got enough on their plate to deal with from pests and disease.

View attachment 29225
I often marvel at the anatomical design, whether that was by God or by Darwinian evolution, of bees, wasps and other Hymenoptera. Beautifully demo'd in Hemo's pic. Why have such a large thorax and a large abdomen joined together by a such a thin thread? Plumbing and cabling running between the two halves must really be packed in tight... Why?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Mobility? No need for girth if you have a liquid diet I guess

Moobee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

View attachment 29225
:eek: Some benefit to living on a cold wet island then!

Amari 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Mobility? No need for girth if you have a liquid diet I guess
Could be mobility I suppose for insects that lay eggs in cells: the front half grips the comb, the rear half flexes so that the ovipositor is lowered into the cell?

0bee-1 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
6+
Hi All
seems V. oreintalis has been recorded in the UK already as well as Belgium.... dont agree with the last sentence either!!!🐝😲😲
the following from SPHECOS -
Number 5 -February 1982
A Newsletter for Aculeate Wasp Researchers

"TRAVELING HORNETS by Robin Edwards
Jacob Ishay, it seems, has started sending me Christmas presents from Israel. I assume it must be Ishay, for who else would have beautiful live queens of Vespa orientalis to give away? The strange thing is that he has packed them in crates
of grapefruits and oranges and sent them via two British supermarkets!
On second thought, perhaps its all fortuitous and the queens made their own way into the crates. I have now received two (Dec 1979 and Jan 1981), in perfect condition and given the right environment, probably quite capable of initiating nests. Similarly, in Belgium recently (see Delmotte and Leclercq, 1980, A propos
d'un Frelon Oriental intercepte vivant a Gembloux. Bull. Ann. Soc. Roy. Belg. Ent. 116:183-184) a queen of~· orientalis was found alive in a box of grapefruit from Cyprus. The authors of the note rightly, I believe, concluded that the queen was unlikely to found a colony in the temperate climate of Belgium, even if she had survived the winter. Nevertheless, this shows how easily vespines and other Aculeates can be spread around the world. Surely it is only a matter of time before this species and some others become established in foreign countries. I
doubt if any exotic species will breed in Britain, for with our poor summer
weather, I often wonder how anything breeds here! Still, it would be rather nice to find a colony of Vespa mandarinia in my back garden."

0bee-1 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
6+

View attachment 29225
beautiful insect though

Latest posts