Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
He did a lot of research and calculations for his thymol recipes, before then, although there had been proper scientific studies on Thymol's benefits, the mode of delivery and dosage quantities were very vague

Indeed - he led many of us down that path of enlightenment, in fact his last tweet back in March was about his new home made OA strips, very much like the ones sold by Abelo.
And of course his queens were legendary
Yes.....I just posted it

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
He did a lot of research and calculations for his thymol recipes, before then, although there had been proper scientific studies on Thymol's benefits, the mode of delivery and dosage quantities were very vague

Indeed - he led many of us down that path of enlightenment, in fact his last tweet back in March was about his new home made OA strips, very much like the ones sold by Abelo.
And of course his queens were legendary
He had a good wooden spoon, though :laughing-smiley-014

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
and of course, his oft repeated saying 'I send a lot of queens out knowing without a doubt I am sending many to their death' I remember years ago towards the end of August (when many queens around here go off lay) the secretary of my BKA calling me in a bit of a tizz, convinced one hive was queenless, and did I know of anyone who still had queens for sale as everyone was sold out, I gave him Pete's number and told him to give him a call.
The day after, Pete messaged me to say he'd had a call from John that evening 'but after a long chat, I managed to persuade him he didn't need another queen' a businessman more interested in doing the right thing rather than making another sale.

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Read his words of wisdom in Steve Donohoes book ‘Interviews with beekeepers’, his chapter was my favourite, full of good practical advice. Used his method of swarm control last couple of seasons by switching swarm fever to emergency, then reintroducing the original queen. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Hedgerow Honey 

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
RIP Pete

I'll certainly miss the three hour phone calls

Condolencies to all the family

bingevader 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Thanks all.
Yes, I knew him as Hivemaker on here.
Never knew him as Pete.
Haven't ever needed to use Thymol Syrup, sorry. :oops:
RIP

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
I never had phone calls with Pete, but a few massages on here about growing tomatoes and things.
I'll remember him for being a top class gardener, as he was as passionate about growing things as he was bees.
My condolences to his family and close friends.

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Very sad news. I was informed that Hivemaker was seriously ill several weeks back and hoped he might find a way through but alas, instead we mourn the loss of a beekeeping ambassador and scholar. My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
There is nothing I can say other than offer my deepest condolences to family and friends. We can acknowledge the passing of one of the 'greats', hold onto our memories and use the wisdom of The Hivemaker so freely given. Rest softly Pete.

MartinJG 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Feeling old today, and so sad. I've lost another friend. The world has lost a brilliant beekeeper, queen breeder, inventor, Hivemaker, and family man. Have a good and safe journey.
03/05/21 Pete said "Long to be out with the bees, hope to next week if feeling better" To me and many others this comment sums him up; his memory lives on with us and the bees. RIP

Gunner 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is very sad news indeed. I only managed to speak with Pete a couple of times and I would have loved to meet him in person. He persuaded me to follow my interest in Instrumental Insemination and I was due to buy a couple of his breeder queens at the start of this season. Sandra informed me of his terminal diagnosis in April.

I'm sure his boys will be continuing the business and hopefully imparting to all of us some of the beekeeping wisdom that their dad gave them over the years. RIP Pete and condolences to Sandra and the family.

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Very sad for those who knew him to lose a kindred spirit.
RIP

Stiffy 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
Although we never met, Pete was one of the kindest, knowledgeable bee keepers I have ever had any dealings with. I first bought some queens from some 15 years ago and as I was a new beekeeper Pete spent several evenings chatting about the best way to introduce them. Since then I have had queens from him and he was always interested to hear how they progressed. A great loss to beekeeping, he will be greatly missed.
S

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
I don't spend any time on this forum anymore but felt the need to comment on the sad loss of Pete Little, this forum's past success is in no small part to his moderator role and the wisdom he brought to the forum - I will always be grateful for his openness and contributions to beekeeping.

Love that Pete embraced twitter and shared so much there.

Latest posts