Another Friend Gone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell Michael. Do you mean Pete? Oh bugger! I knew he was ill but it’s still a huge shock. I got my first Buckie from him as a beginner. Phoned him up at around midnight and got off the phone at 1am. He could talk bees!! So sorry. Condolences to Sandra and the boys

I spoke with Pete quite a number of times on the phone and can say what an amazing knowledge of bees and practical experience the man had. All calls started late and finished in the early hours, because quite frankly the bugger never appeared to stop! My thoughts are with his wife and boys. Ian

I spoke with Pete quite a number of times on the phone and can say what an amazing knowledge of bees and practical experience the man had. All calls started late and finished in the early hours, because quite frankly the bugger never appeared to stop! My thoughts are with his wife and boys. Ian

My thought as well

That's terribly sad news. Few people have done so much for the improvement of British bees and beekeeping. I know he's been quiet on here for quite a while but his input at all levels will be sorely missed

Like many I've valued HM's words of wisdom here and by phone, and still have some of his queens' offspring leading hives. Sad news.
Simon

That is so sad .. he was a force to be reckoned with in terms of beekeeping knowledge, innovation and his long commitment to this forum ... I had a couple of his Buckie queens some years ago and he was so very helpful. His posts will live on though and our thoughts must be with his family.

Desperately sorry to hear this sad news.
Lovely, helpful & knowledgeable man - I’ve had queens & nucs from him (& no sign of F2 aggression!) plus hours of friendly advice!
Beekeeping will be worse off for his passing.
Sincere condolences to Sandra, their sons & all the family.

Very sorry to hear this sad news massive loss to the beekeeping community and Sandra and the boys.Will really miss the late night phone calls where he generousely and enthusiastically shared his vast knowledge.With his advise and encouragement and measurments I ended up making II equipment and a sublimox. RIP Pete

I bought my first bees and subsequent hives from Peter, who was just so helpful in every way. As others have said, late night phone calls were never an issue and he always would give advice. I am very saddened by this news. The world has lost a real character.

Reactions: mbc
For the ignorant amongst us, could you please let us know who Pete is?
Ta.

Didn’t know him, never spoken to him, sad to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and everyone who knew him. Seems the beekeeping world lost a big character 🙁

For the ignorant amongst us, could you please let us know who Pete is?
Ta.
Didn’t know him, never spoken to him, sad to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and everyone who knew him. Seems the beekeeping world lost a big character 🙁
If you look back into the archives for posts via Hivemaker as a member - you will find a lot of interesting information.

Plus ... Hivemaker's recipe for thymol syrup is a legend on here.

Plus he was probably one of the first beekeepers in the Uk to explore the benefits and methodology for treatment of varroa by OA via sublmation.

Outside of the forum ... he was largely responsible for the continuance of the Buckfast strain in Brother Adam's original mating station ...

Gone but won't be forgotten. I feel sure the family will continue with the business. It must be very hard for them at present in mid season and the heather on its way.

If you look back into the archives for posts via Hivemaker as a member - you will find a lot of interesting information.

Plus ... Hivemaker's recipe for thymol syrup is a legend on here.

Plus he was probably one of the first beekeepers in the Uk to explore the benefits and methodology for treatment of varroa by OA via sublmation.

Outside of the forum ... he was largely responsible for the continuance of the Buckfast strain in Brother Adam's original mating station ...

Gone but won't be forgotten. I feel sure the family will continue with the business. It must be very hard for them at present in mid season and the heather on its way.
One of his last posts on Twitter was a picture of his version of Abelo Oxalic hive cleaning strips
Wonderful
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 20.54.42.png

Reactions: mbc
Hivemaker's recipe for thymol syrup is a legend on here.
He did a lot of research and calculations for his thymol recipes, before then, although there had been proper scientific studies on Thymol's benefits, the mode of delivery and dosage quantities were very vague
Plus he was probably one of the first beekeepers in the Uk to explore the benefits and methodology for treatment of varroa by OA via sublimation.
Indeed - he led many of us down that path of enlightenment, in fact his last tweet back in March was about his new home made OA strips, very much like the ones sold by Abelo.
And of course his queens were legendary

Back