Another fondant question !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambodach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've never used fondant before but it's been really too warm a winter for good over-wintering of bees and now I'm going to be away all March.

So - I've read a couple of threads on fondant here, but would appreciate a comment or two on how much I need to apply.

I'm in central Scotland with two hives which are hefting quite heavy, but as I've never felt much need to do that previously I'm not too sure what my reference points are for that. The bees went into the autumn with plenty of food.

I've currently got two off 2.5kg bags of fondant - should I look to getting more, or should that be enough to give me belt and braces till early April ?

Yes I know it's a 'how long is a bit of string' question, but some guidance would be appreciated.

Rob

"How long is a piece of string" to be sure, but v sensible. To quantify a bit, google "Heavy man! Bees" and you should get a link with hefting weights on the site of the national beekeeping association (sorry for the ellipticity). Then with a pair of baggage scales off eBay and weighing both sides and adding you should be able to measure the string.

Here: you'll need to change the stars: http://www.-------------/local/barkston-ash/johnsponderings/heavy-man~print.shtml

"How long is a piece of string" to be sure, but v sensible. To quantify a bit, google "Heavy man! Bees" and you should get a link with hefting weights on the site of the national beekeeping association (sorry for the ellipticity). Then with a pair of baggage scales off eBay and weighing both sides and adding you should be able to measure the string.

Here: you'll need to change the stars: http://www.-------------/local/barkston-ash/johnsponderings/heavy-man~print.shtml

Many thanks TTLTB - that was a very valuable pointer on hefting. I could have done something with empty lifts, etc., but all the info was there.

Nett result was definitely positive in that I was up to 20kg plus on both hives, and running out of lifting puff. The odd lady or two came out to see what was going on ! I found a butcher's hook was the interface tool to use between the hive floor and the luggage scales.

I'll hope I get a warm enough day before I go away to take the top board off and slip the fondant I have in. The weighing suggests it's not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

I'll hope I get a warm enough day before I go away to take the top board off and slip the fondant I have in. The weighing suggests it's not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Don't worry about waiting for a warm day.
I popped fondant on two colonies yesterday in 5˚
Job done in less than 10 seconds. Not many bees noticed, only a few bums in the air.
Just remember to replace the strap nice and tight as you would have wrecked their crown board seal.

<to replace the strap nice and tight>

Ehh? - what strap ? And yes the crown board seal will be broken but the lid goes over the top of it.

I think Erica was assuming that, like a lot of us, you strap your hives down in Winter.

I think Erica was assuming that, like a lot of us, you strap your hives down in Winter.

You must all live in pretty exposed situations then - and I take it that strapping down means down to the ground ?

I'm in central Scotland and it got up to force 9 here recently but I never considered that a bee-keeping hazard. What I didn't say at the beginning of this thread is that I've kept bees for 50+ years - never used fondant before and never had any bothers with wind. In fact thinking about it I have my spare lifts stacked about 5 ft high behind my hives and they haven't moved either - perhaps it's more sheltered down there than I thought.

I have poly hives
They are secured to the hive stand with one hive strap.
Plenty of people do it....wind or no wind. Other things can interfere with hives

My hives are strapped to the stands, and the stands are weighted down across the cross bars with gravel sacks all year round. It's been a bee-saver.

Well, well, well - I've been keeping bees for 56 years on two separate sites and I've never had a bother with wind, nor ever thought about it. Interesting what you find out when you chat to other people.

And you know what - I'll go away and come back in a month's time to find all hell let loose and tipped over hives ! Perhaps a small bag of gravel on top might be worthwhile.

This is what we do, Place a pack of fondant on the crown board over the hole, take a look every few weeks if it's being eaten replace as necessary. Hope this helps

This is what we do, Place a pack of fondant on the crown board over the hole, take a look every few weeks if it's being eaten replace as necessary. Hope this helps

I do this too. Then there's no need to remove the crownboard.

If you put the fondant in a clear container then it's easy to check. The clear ones with snap on lid that some Asian take-aways use are good. You make a hole in the bottom for the bees to get up to the fondant. Melt the hole with something hot like a soldering iron so it's got smooth edge. This hole sits above the hole in the crownboard. You can see the bees progress because the container is clear. If it needs topped up, just remove the container lid to refill; no need to disturb the crownboard.

If you are going to be away for some time then I would suggest 5kg per colony as a belt and braces.

Bees can be really odd about using stores, and some of the stores can be unusable if granulated. OSR contamination and or Ivy. Readily accessible fondant is gratefully accepted and any left over can be made into syrup for 1:1 feeding later this Spring.

I have never strapped down hives. A brick on the roof does the trick for me and also acts as a message system too. ;)

PH

... I have never strapped down hives. A brick on the roof does the trick for me and also acts as a message system too. ;)

PH

If my hives hadn't been strapped down this winter I would have lost six colonies floating down a river after the floods. They would not have survived. I've got them all back, alive and well. I've also had a hive blown over - but again, the straps saved them. (In that case I only had one sandbag on the stand, and it wasn't enough. The hive was quite tall.)

Latest posts

Back