another beek lands up in hospital

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bugger Bugger Bugger...

yesterday I went through my hives, all was well, unlike last week there were no problems or drama's. Last week one of the hives was low on stores and was pretty damn 'protective' so I fed them during the week.

this week they were still a bit miffed but ok and there were no stings during the inspection.

after I'd finished everything and closed up I wanted to get a couple of pics of the bees at the entrance which is where things went a bit 'pete-tong'

one of my lovely ladies was either on my glove or veil and got a bit squished as I brought the camera up to my face and stung me right on the end of my nose :banghead:

as I've never been stung on the face before I got myself home PDQ, my nose swelled nicely straight away, over the rest of the afternoon the swelling spread all the way down the right hand side of my face and I got a sore throat. I took anti histamines straight away.

MrsTaff made me ring NHS direct and they recommended that I went to a pharmacist, so off to town we went and the pharmacist sent me to a doctor, at 7PM on a saturday that meant A&E :willy_nilly:

after sitting in the waiting room for about 90 mins, MrsTaff was dispatched to the receptionist to tell her my chest was starting to hurt, this suddenly moves you up the Triage priority list and gets you straight into the resus room ;)

I had some 'stuff' pumped into my arm and was observed for a couple of hours before being sent home, I'm now feeling battered and bruised and a bit foolish TBH.

be careful out there people

pictures will follow later.

Taff glad you are okay but you are right to raise awareness. I tend to wander over and have a look, ignoring the fact that they could still be feisty from a previous inspection.

Since others will be reading this thread can I add two other protection checks to do. Neither of these attempts at gaining a 'prize chump' award resulted in stings but.

1. Check your veil for rips, I ripped mine on a rose bush after collecting a swarm and didn't notice, right in front of my mouth and big enough to have caused plenty of problems. Performed two inspections before I noticed - dork!

2. If you use marigold style gloves check the cuffs aren't loosing their elasticity. Mine have and I saw a number of the girls burrowing in toward my hand. They got squished before 'contact' but my miserly extension of glove life will be stopped as of now! Also thinking about using 'sweat bands' to improve the seal.

Rosti, funny thing is, i destroyed my veil in the washing machine last week and had it repaired so it was like brand new :D

28793_403863794456_569434456_4052700_2192451_n.jpg

28793_403863704456_569434456_4052699_385507_n.jpg

Ouch! You have my heartfelt sympathy - our eyes look remarkably similar!:D

Taff

I so sympathise with you. Five days after my A&E adventure the left hand side of my face is still twice the size of the other side.

Blimming bees. Wish we'd taken up stamp collecting instead :eek:

I just hope these thing dont come in three's :eek:

Ouch! You have my heartfelt sympathy - our eyes look remarkably similar!:D

Oh, maybe they do :toetap05:

Get better soon taff!:)

I know what that is like. Once several bees got under my veil and one stung me right underneath the bottom of my eye. It swelled up huge like yours and I couldn't see out of it properly for 2 days. Plus I looked a right freak!

Wow, that looks so painfull. hope it goes down soon!

thank you :)

Get better soon taff!:)

I know what that is like. Once several bees got under my veil and one stung me right underneath the bottom of my eye. It swelled up huge like yours and I couldn't see out of it properly for 2 days. Plus I looked a right freak!

The very first thing I told the receptionist as I walked into A&E is

'I have not been fighting'

she seemed a bit surprised, must be 'cos I'm quite a chunky lad :D

Hope you`re feeling better today Taff.

I had a bee drop down my collar last week after taking my veil off and got a sting on the shoulder. I hate the anticipation, i knew it was coming but couldn`t get to it in time.:willy_nilly:

Darren.

1. Check your veil for rips, I ripped mine on a rose bush after collecting a swarm and didn't notice, right in front of my mouth and big enough to have caused plenty of problems. Performed two inspections before I noticed - dork!

Spot on there dude, i had to get a needle and thread to mine for the first use this year, i counted 10 plus holes, most small, but some could have caused issues.

Unless you scrutinize your veil regularly these small ones can not be seen easily.

Admittedly my jacket was a cheapy, and the mesh is kind of plastic, i suppose it has got brittle over time. ??

Plastic type mesh will degrade over time.

Your veil is what keeps you safe, it is not worth shaving costs on this item.

What is your life worth??

PH

Taff

Speedy recovery mate, should have gone on the razz instead that day! Lol.

Hi taff you beat me hands down mate.

Plastic type mesh will degrade over time.

Your veil is what keeps you safe, it is not worth shaving costs on this item.

What is your life worth??

PH

Duly Noted PH, has anyone got one of these from BeeProofSuits ?

I thought about one of those Grizzly, in the end I decided too many delicate bits to get scagged and not be home repairable. That said I haven't heard good or bad about the BPS. Not placed the order yet but going to be predictable and replace my original cheapie with a Sherrif me thinks.

has anyone got one of these from BeeProofSuits ?
Yes I have a BeeProof siut. Bought it from the USA. Golden Bee Suits. No web site but telephoned. Suit is excellent if expensive. Claim that you can go commando in a swarm of Africanised bees!!Several stings wearing it but always due to negligence. Zips/velcro not done up properly. put suit on with bee inside. Cuffs not done up properly.
Sunday the ultimate, head band slipped, veil touching face, bee stings on end of nose. had to explain to my colleagues and customers that the eye is the result of a lady!!

Latest posts

Back