angry ish colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how long do you give them

opened one up today and i would say feisty....had to light smoker, they did behave after a puff of smoke....weather was great and a Q mated 2-3 weeks ago

just wondering how many attempts would people observe feisty ish behaviour before requeening....i have a nice q in a nuc a few feet behind....
Depends bit on the situation,at stand2 w've a row with 7 nucs,one is from starters bit more defensive but still manageble,so that one got a marker,or as in kindergarden a red sticker for bad behaviour,after first harvest next spring w'll decide,thing is, bit more defensive hives often are the better producers.Wether is nice doesn't always cut it,there might be bad wether on the way,changing airpressure,can trigger one time reactions.Or a wrong move pulling a frame up in a well with bees filled up hive and you hear wings scratching,everyone had this happening i guess,can be enough to make them triggerhappy.We mostly work with bare hands but occasionaly w've to take a step back and rethink or get stung.Now,if they allready behaved after one puff,nothing to worry about that's peanuts,seen lot worse and had worse happening myself.

how long do you give them

opened one up today and i would say feisty....had to light smoker, they did behave after a puff of smoke....weather was great and a Q mated 2-3 weeks ago

just wondering how many attempts would people observe feisty ish behaviour before requeening....i have a nice q in a nuc a few feet behind....
Bees are preparing for winter. Many colonies are defensive. They have stores to protect. I would ignore any defensive behaviour this time of year and re evaluate in the spring

Latest posts

Back