Angry bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juliebeebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all
As you know I caught a swarm last week, popped some new frames in for them & left them to it. Anyhow, yesterday I had someone in my garden looking at a job needing done & we both got stung a few times by the bees! We were nowhere near the hives, even the dog got stung too!
should I have a look in the hive? I checked my 1st hive, queen still there & seems fine do I can only assume the swarm bees are grumpy?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jules

Give them a couple of litres of syrup and see if that helps. Swarms aren't usually bad in my experience. Perhaps they are hungry. You could look in though

I didn’t intend to get a swarm,they just arrived last Tuesday & moved into an empty hive!!

can only assume the swarm bees are grumpy?
If the swarm arrived with a virgin (which failed to return from a subsequent mating flight) you have a queenless colony on your hands.

Give them a frame of eggs from your other colony and see if matters improve. Get the smoker going well; if you can find a puffball mushroom, put that in the smoker to knock them out.

PS: let's get this straight: anger and grumpiness describe human behaviour.

This colony is defensive for a reason and it's just a matter of identifying the source.

If the swarm arrived with a virgin (which failed to return from a subsequent mating flight) you have a queenless colony on your hands.

Give them a frame of eggs from your other colony and see if matters improve. Get the smoker going well; if you can find a puffball mushroom, put that in the smoker to knock them out.

PS: let's get this straight: anger and grumpiness describe human behaviour.

This colony is defensive for a reason and it's just a matter of identifying the source.

Puffball? Sounds intriguing.

Hi all
As you know I caught a swarm last week, popped some new frames in for them & left them to it. Anyhow, yesterday I had someone in my garden looking at a job needing done & we both got stung a few times by the bees! We were nowhere near the hives, even the dog got stung too!
should I have a look in the hive? I checked my 1st hive, queen still there & seems fine do I can only assume the swarm bees are grumpy?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jules

How near is nowhere near, in metres?

Hi all
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jules
replace the queen (Can you photo bees to check what you have??), is there enough room? and feed as suggested

Latest posts

Back