Angry bees. Nature or nurture?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2.5ish The 0.5 is an ish
Hi Folks,

I split one of my hives last month to prevent swarming leaving a queen cell in the original hive and a load of mature bees to hopefully get a good crop.

Two weeks ago I managed to take 3 honey supers off this hive (OSR) and spotted some eggs, no queen seen and they were a little feisty, which I put down to the weather and honey grab.

Last week the bees changed in their temperament and now follow me back to the car after my inspections!!! Eggs are present, brood is present. Do I need to find the queen and re queen? And how do i do this with such aggressive bees?! Or could it just be a combination of new queen, honey grab disturbance and rubbish weather? Patience or requeen?

Thanks for your wisdom.

yes ,be patient.Some of my calmest hives can be a complete nightmare with the weather.Last week on inspection they got in my veil and stung ,on the ankles and lost count of the stings on my hands.Inspected today,they were calm and i did not get stung.Wait and see before deciding to requeen

I'm hoping I can go through my hives tomorrow or Tuesday when the weather's supposed to be better. I've had enough of opening hives when the weather's certain to annoy them. Last year I took honey with barely a ping, let alone a sting. This year they're alternately nightmare and sweeties and the weather is the only variable that seems to chime in with their mood. I'll let you know how it goes . . . :)

yes ,be patient.Some of my calmest hives can be a complete nightmare with the weather.Last week on inspection they got in my veil and stung ,on the ankles and lost count of the stings on my hands.Inspected today,they were calm and i did not get stung.Wait and see before deciding to requeen
Thanks for your response. I'll give them another week and fingers crossed for some better weather!

Sometimes I think it can also help to video your opening of hives. I am involved in a project and 'our leader' opened the hive the other day - he was trying to make some points and as emphasis on each frame he banged the hive tool against the frame. I think his entire audience were taken aback but he seemed oblivious. The bees were not happy. I am sure he doesn't always do this - but equally when we are in a rush I expect we are all less gentle than we intend.

There are situation when most hives are angry. Evening and rain is coming, they send you home.

Sometimes I think it can also help to video your opening of hives. I am involved in a project and 'our leader' opened the hive the other day - he was trying to make some points and as emphasis on each frame he banged the hive tool against the frame. I think his entire audience were taken aback but he seemed oblivious. The bees were not happy. I am sure he doesn't always do this - but equally when we are in a rush I expect we are all less gentle than we intend.
Thanks, don't think this is my ham fisted technique as I don't use gloves and even on days when I haven't inspected there are a few "chasers" about! And this is a new phenomenon for this hive.

My bees have been quite angry for a few weeks, they swarmed end May/Begin June and attempts to queen rear have not worked so now buying one.

Between the bad weather and lack of Queen, they are not nice to handle at the moment and there are a lot of followers.

Bees have more mood swings than women :biggrinjester:

I would just like to say I disagree with this statement. If anyone would like to spend time with the wife they would also disagree.:laughing-smiley-014

My bees have been fine but today very angry, weather, time of day, time of month, who knows

I have had my bees for ten days. I don’t know if their just to busy building themselves up but have not experienced any aggression from them at all, apart from the one the flew up my t-shirt which was my fault for standing in there way.

So far they have had to put up with myself, wife and daughter standing and watching them. Also the other day I had work men putting up a fence in the garden using angle grinders and concrete breaker, they didn’t take a bit of notice. This work should have been completed two weeks before the bees arrived, workman aware they take their chances.

Today whilst standing in the garden two foot away from the hive watching the Red Arrows flying into the local airport and deciding to do a loop the loop just before landing, all that noise and again bees fine nothing appears to bother them but I do realise that this can change at anytime.

Oh and there’s the dog who now takes a wide berth around the hive whilst watching them out of the corner of her eye, she learnt fast. :)

My bees have been quite angry for a few weeks, they swarmed end May/Begin June and attempts to queen rear have not worked so now buying one.

Bet een the bad weather and lack of Queen, they are not nice to handle at the moment and there are a lot of followers.
did any queen cell hatch?.if so and your bees swarmed at the end of may,beginning of june,then its too early to know if the queen got mated.One of my nucs that i made up in the first week of may had a duff q cell and i had no more spare ,so they reared their own queen, she came into lay on saturday,which makes the time around 7 weeks.Wether she is good only time will tell but the same thing happened last year and that queen is excellent so far.

Last edited:
I decided to use the strimmer around the hives today as the grass was getting too long.
After advice from a friend, I decided to wear my suit. They certainly do not like strimmers! I was surrounded by bees within minutes. Thank god for the advice.

If Strimming, stick a bit extra 2 stroke oil in petrol, makes it smoke a bit and seems to keep the bees away

I decided to use the strimmer around the hives today as the grass was getting too long.
After advice from a friend, I decided to wear my suit. They certainly do not like strimmers! I was surrounded by bees within minutes. Thank god for the advice.

I got a scythe last year to use around my hives for just that reason, saves suiting up and no noise.;)

Thanks for replies folks I'm taking it in :bigear:

Have done a recent inspection with a little pocket of fine weather, all seems to have calmed down! Good weather and time have solved my problem!

I think this hive is still a little bit spicy and unforgiving of my clumsiness. With a gentle hand they ignore me and go about their buisness. An accidental slight jolt from a levered frame or immenent grey cloud and they're off like a box of fireworks!
bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back